Chapter 13

~ Achan ~

---------- Chapter 13 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment I'm outside of earshot, or rather, outside of Edward's little bubble of omni-listening, I sit on one of the nearby trees, my feet dangling off. I stare into oblivion, planning out my next move.

I could run. Keep running till I get to Italy? I could confront the Volturi. I'm not afraid anymore, not now that I know why they want me! I'm supremely confident they wouldn't harm a hair on my head! They need me.

After explaining, though, what happens? Do I join the Volturi? That's a thought. I could become a nomad, maybe live on my own for a while, really grow up. I could come back here, home. Or I could move to Denali, live with Tanya and her family for a while, I'm sure they would be okay with it.

Would mum and dad understand? Would they be mad? Yes, they would be mad, and no, they wouldn't understand. You would think that after a child is 48, the parents would ease up a little! But no......!

Hmm, so what if I stay here? The Volturi will come. I can explain everything, right? And I would still be with my family. I wouldn't be hurting anyone...

As I'm thinking through all of this, a tangy, coppery smell greets my nose. Human blood. Someone is injured.

I jump off the tree and follow my nose. It takes me less than a minute to locate where the scent is coming from; near the waterfall. I full out run to the waterfall, and that's when I see shimmering, sparkling skin, bent over a moaning young girl. Vampire, on my turf.

I hide behind a tree, gathering my wits. I need to act now before the human is fully consumed! I jump out from where I'm hiding and pounce on the vampire. The wind gets knocked out of me, but I manage to get the vamp away from the frail, human girl.

I glance down at the slight vampire in front of me, and exhale deeply. A set of deep crimson eyes bore into mine.

"Cas?" I murmur, my voice shaking.

The vampire, Castella, growls and snaps at me before springing off into the forest. I run over to the young girl and check her heartbeat and pulse. I gently close the poor, innocent girl's eyes. She never had a chance!

I hurtle after my runaway vamp. She stops in the meadow, her body tensed, she's in a sort of half-crouch.

"Cas! Calm down! It's me, Henry!" I murmur in my honey-covered voice. I've heard Edward use this tone so frequently; I can mimic it without a second thought. "Cas? I thought you only hunted animals! What happened?"

"Henry...I slipped. I couldn't control myself! How is the girl?" she asks, concern colouring her tone.

"She's gone, Cas. She didn't make it." I mutter.

Just as Castella suddenly freezes, I hear it too. A quiet thudding, approaching us; paws. The wolves.

I grab Castella and pull her behind me just as a huge brown wolf enters the clearing; Kain.

"You've killed a human. Now you die!" I hear Kain's voice in my head. This startles me, I'm not phased, and yet, I hear him.

"Henry? We have to run," Castella whispers to me.

"No use. They outnumber us, and they can run as fast as we do," I mutter, trying to think of what to do.

Castella lets out a low snarl, and I turn back to see bloodlust on her face. She grins slightly, utterly terrifying! "Then we kill," she continues simply.