The Serpent Dance

Friday rolled around quickly, and everyone was excited for the upcoming evening. Many people had heard about it, and there was going to be a lot of people there to witness Sophia's initiation - Serpents and Bulldogs alike.

"Mum, don't forget Thomas and I are staying out tonight." Sophia said as she collected her bag before school.

"Yes, Sophia, I know. Where are you staying again?" Patricia asked.

"I'm staying at Archie's and Soph is staying at Cheryl's." Tom said.

"Okay. Well have fun both of you, and stay out of trouble." William said.

The Serpents were sat at a booth in Pop's after school, Toni, Cheryl, Sweet Pea and Fangs, with the Bulldogs Moose, Reggie, Kevin and Chuck in the next booth, and core four Veronica, Betty, Archie and Jughead in another.

"Where are they?" Veronica asked.

"They'll be here." Jughead said.

"What if they-" Betty started.

"Sophia doesn't seem like the type not to turn up for something she instigated." Archie interrupted.

The bell to Pop's rang and everyone turned to the door.

"Well, show us this speakeasy." Tom smiled.

Veronica got up first, opening the speakeasy. She was followed down by Sophia, Tom and the others.

"Welcome to La Bonne Nuit," she said.

"Wow, V. This is next level amazing." Sophia looked around in awe as everyone piled in.

"Thank you. I like it." Veronica smiled. "Right, we officially open at 7:30, your show will be at 9, and then it's time to party."

"Fantastic." Sophia replied. "So Tom, you need to be upstairs for nine, and then we'll get someone to come get you after it's finished."

"Have you got everything sorted?" Jughead asked.

"I do." Sophia nodded. "It's gonna be great."

"I can imagine it will." Reggie said, aiming a wink towards her before going behind the bar.

They all had a couple of drinks, Sophia offering around a hip flask of vodka to spice them up. She knew Veronica didn't sell alcohol, but if she was going to do this, she needed some Dutch courage. The speakeasy was filling up, and by quarter to nine there wasn't an empty seat in the house. Tom went backstage.

"Well, good luck, Soph. I'll see you when you're done." He patted her shoulder.

"Thanks, Tommy. I'll see you later." Sophia smiled at him in the mirror in which she was doing her make-up.

He left the room, and Sophia got dressed. She changed into a green halterneck crop top, a black leather skirt, some fishnet tights and a pair of black heeled boots. Her hair was curled and her make-up dark and smokey with a deep red lip. She quickly went out to the crowd.

"Sweet Pea." She waved him over.

"What's up, Soph?" He asked.

"Can I borrow your jacket?" Sophia asked. "For the dance."

"I don't know..." Sweet Pea faltered.

"Pretty please, Sweets?" She asked, batting her eyelids.

He sighed. "Fine." He took it off. "But I want it back straight after."

"Of course. Thank you, you're the best." She kissed his cheek and went back to the dressing room.

"Five minutes til- Wow, Sophia you look amazing." Veronica said.

"Yeah, oh my God. You look so good!" Betty said. "But five minutes til showtime."

"Thank you, girls. See you out there." Sophia smiled.

She went out to the stage to the applause of everyone in the room. She placed Sweet Pea's jacket on the back of a chair on the stage. Jughead joined her, and she showed that she knew all the Serpent Laws.

"So, you know the laws." Jughead said. "Now time to dance." He left the stage.

Tainted Love by Marilyn Manson began playing through the speakers. She danced on the stage, used the pole to dance as well, doing some tricks on it to the cheers of the crowd. Towards the end of the second chorus, before the bridge, she stopped dancing on the pole to put the jacket on before dancing again until the end of the song, ending sitting on the chair. Everyone erupted into loud claps and cheers and whistles.  Sophia stood up and bowed. Jughead joined her on stage again.

"Well, I think I can speak for everyone when I say that your initiation is not only complete, but fulfilled with flying colours. So, Miss Sophia Putnam," Jughead took Sweet Pea's jacket from her and helped her put on one of her own. "Welcome to the South Side Serpents." They hugged and Sophia grinned. She jumped down from the stage and went over to Sweet Pea.

"This belongs to you." She handed his jacket back.

"Thank you. And while I'm glad you have your own, I have to say you looked good in mine," he said with a smirk.

"Why, thank you." She returned the smile. "I'm gonna go get a drink." She walked over to the bar.

"That was really something, Sophia." Reggie said, making her a drink.

"Thanks, Reg." Sophia replied, pouring vodka into it. "So, are you working all night?"

"I think Ronnie's got Chuck lined up. So he gets his fun now, and I get mine later. Why do you ask?" He asked.

"Well, you've seen my moves. I'm inclined to see yours." She sipped through her straw.

"I'll be sure to find you when I'm done." Reggie said.

"I'll be around." Sophia left the bar.

"Soph! You've got your jacket, I see." Tom said. "I take it your serpent dance went well."

"Well?" Toni interjected. "She killed it."

"Oh yeah, she did." Cheryl agreed. "Your turn next, little T?"

"My turn next." Tom nodded. "We'll see what Jughead has in store."

"It'll be fine." Sophia said. "I've already spoken to him."