01

"You are so brave and quiet, I forgot you were suffering

"You are so brave and quiet, I forgot you were suffering."

Sinna Swan•

-❄️-

Since I was 9 years old, I've lived in Forks, Washington. The smallest, coldest town. My dad was a simple man. He'd never really known what to do with either of his children after Rene. My mother left. Our silence was what made us close. I think I received a lot of his personality traits. Sunday mornings were always reserved for our meals at the diner.
"Hey dad." I greet, pulling out my chair. He gives a gentle nod. "Hey Sinna." I place my bag next to me. "Two waters, one with lemon. Chicken Caesar Salad and a Steak with Gravy coming right out guys." Our usuals have became common. The people around us have became common. Everything in Forks was common. That's what I liked about it.
Except today, today was not common. "So, uh. When's the other daughter arriving?" Waylon asks. He's much cheerier than my dad, but he is one of his best friends. Charlie looks up at me, almost as if he is trying to read me. "I actually have to pick her up.. After we eat. Uh.. Sinna. Do you want to go?" I look down and play with my manicured nails. "No, thanks. I'm just going to head home." I couldn't see it, but I knew he was nodding his head. Quiet frankly, My dad didn't know how to react after not seeing her for two years either. It's not that I didn't care for her, it's just that I didn't know her. As far as I could tell. She was a stranger, and if she was anything like dad and I. I'd probably stay that way.
I pick at my salad, and sip down my water. I place a tip on the table. This was a ritual too. He would pay the bill, and I would tip. We walk out together. "I can drive you home. It's cold." Charlie asks. I shake my head. "No, I'll walk. It's only five minutes." He bids me a goodbye as I watch him back away.
I look down at my snow boots. Shuffling them a bit. Starting to walk. I liked taking in my surroundings. Some would say we have perfect seasons. Perfect Winter, Perfect Spring, Summer, Fall. Living in it though, never feels that way. Despite it's accuracy and beauty. As I reach home, out of the corner of my eye I see a dead rabbit. I stare at it for a couple seconds before shaking my head and walk into my house. It's small, but it was homey. I appreciated that.

The weather outside made our house chilled as well, I place wood in our stove and start a cup of tea, watching the steam as it brewed

The weather outside made our house chilled as well, I place wood in our stove and start a cup of tea, watching the steam as it brewed. An older dog, the first and only one Charlie will ever have. Rubs my legs. His bright eyes matched my own. When my mother left it was an attempt to cheer me up. It did, the dog was the closest thing I've ever had to a friend. I'm sure I'd be heartbroken if something was ever to happen.

As if on cue, my dog

As if on cue, my dog. Atticus. Scratches at the door. They were home. I put my slippers on. Stepping out into the cold air again, but this time. My cup of tea warms me. "Hi Bella." I say. She nods a simple Hey back. "So uh, I've redone your room. I didn't know what you liked." I say, glancing at her homecoming present. I looked down, but back up quickly. I hadn't gotten one. "Oh nice. Can I, Can I come in?" Charlie speaks up. "Right after you check out your homecoming present." He waves towards the orange truck. She smiles. "This.?" He nods. "Yep, just bought it off of Billy, here." Her smile falters, but the pick up of her tone stays steady. "No way! Thanks." I walk back inside, leading my dog to my room. I plop into my bed sheets with my tea and a book. Watching out the window, dreading the fact our winter break from school ends tomorrow. Bella is sure to attract attention in the morning.