Gauri bit into the food, which was delicious. Well, at least rich people served good food at their parties. She wanted to have some more of that paneer (cottage cheese) appetizer but felt conscious asking for more, looking around at the people who ate lesser mouthful than a chiraiyaa. 

"Want to have some more?" said a slightly healthy, pretty girl, smilingly to Gauri. She seemed to be of Gauri's age, wearing a nice black dress of sorts. Gauri felt acutely embarrassed being caught like this.

"Arey don't worry, its not just you, I want some more too." said Soumya genially. Jahnvi aunty had pointed out Gauri to Soumya, and had requested her to take of Gauri, so that she might not feel out of place. Soumya had good-naturedly accepted as she was of a natural friendly disposition and class barriers didn't matter to her. After all, she was not the famous RJ Love Angel, for nothing. 

"Thankoo" said Gauri, as Soumya called the waiter who served both of them again. 

"I don't understand how people can eat so less, that too at a party with free food." said Soumya conversationally.

"Shankarji! I was just thinking the same thing, that why are people here eating like chiraiyaas." exclaimed Gauri.

"Chirayaa? What is a chiraiyaa?" asked Soumya, smiling.

"Chiraiyaa, meaning, a bird." said Gauri, smiling back.

"Ha, ha. So cute. Oh where are my manners? I'm Soumya. And you are...?" asked Soumya, though she already knew her name.

"I'm Gauri. Paachvi paas from Bareilly, namaste!" said Gauri, brightly. 

"Good to meet you." said Soumya, reciprocating Gauri's chirpy manner. "Are you new in this city?"

"Yes, I've come here to make a living, like Shahrukh Khan in Yes Boss." said Gauri giving a movie reference. Soumya chuckled at this.

"If you don't mind me asking, are you a business womaniya too, like Jahnvi auntyji? You look too young to be working." asked Gauri.

"No, no I'm not a business 'womaniya'. I'm still in college. I'm a family friend of Jahnvi aunty's family. Her eldest son is my rakhi brother, and younger son goes to the same college as me." explained Soumya. 

"Oh thats nice." said Gauri. Before she could say something, Jahnvi walked to the center and commanded everyone's attention. 

She started talking about how years back she was a successful business woman, and why due to family, and the responsibilities of a mother she had to step back from business. But now her children are grown up, and she was ready to re-enter business, to remake her identity. She credited her new-found confidence to an angel she met in a temple, literally singing praises of Gods. At this, Gauri blushed and looked at the floor. Soumya guessed that Jahnvi aunty might be talking about the girl standing next to her. 

Jahnvi concluded by saying, that this venture is dedicated to every woman who wants to resurrect her identity. Hence, her new decor company is named 'Pehchaan'. (Identity

Everyone applauded and congratulated Jahnvi. The media was buzzing at her re-entry in the family business. Some of them were asking where were her children and her family at this gathering? Where was her husband? At that moment, Rudy entered with Prinku and Shivaay bhaiyaa, with Annika bhaabhi closely following them. Omkara, who was coming with Jahnvi's parents and Dadi, was reaching soon in the other car. 

As the media converged on the Oberoi family, Gauri strained to catch a glimpse of them, but she couldn't manage with her short height. The interviews were conducted in rapid English, which meant that Gauri didn't follow most of it. Gauri happened to catch a glimpse of the sky outside through one of the windows. It was getting dark. Since, Gauri was not in the Chulbul persona, she felt it was best to leave early, she still felt a little unsafe after the experience of that first night in Mumbai, when Dandi had rescued her from those street goons. 

"Soumya, Jahnvi aunty looks busy, can you please tell her from me, that I really enjoyed the party, and was there until the media surrounded her for asking questions? I have to leave now as its getting a little late for me" said Gauri.

"Oh, but the party just started properly now, but okay, I'll tell her from you. It was nice meeting you, Gauri." said Soumya, as she shook hands with Gauri. Gauri had never shaken hands with anyone except Dandi, so she gladly shook hands with Soumya to express her joy at acquainting with her. 

"Same Soumya. You are my first womaniya friend in Bombay, I hope you don't mind me calling you a friend." said Gauri

"I don't mind at all. Bye Gauri, see you again, soon I hope." said Soumya

"Same. Bye!" said Gauri cheerfully.

As Gauri was exiting quickly from the main gate, she saw a group of four get down from their car. She didn't particularly notice them, and at that moment a gust of wind came from nowhere, blowing out her dupatta, covering her face, as she looked behind to catch hold of it. Gauri caught her dupatta, and quickly rushed back home.

****************************

Omkara could not see the girl, as the large beige colored, embroidered dupatta obscured her face. But the girl moving against the wind, rushing from there, reminded him strongly of another girl whose red dupatta had once caused a tiny traffic jam, which again reminded him of another bright yellow dupatta, he had seen on his first day in Bareilly. It all came down to the dupattas, Omkara felt that the dupattas were trying to tell him a story, beckoning him. But before he could pursue this train of thought, he and his grandparents, on both sides, were engulfed by the rest of the Oberoi family who had arrived before them. They all were beseeched for photos. Omkara hated all the media glare, so naturally sneaked away from there.

"O! Kab tak aise chupe rustam bane rahoge? (O! How long are you going to hide your face?) joked Rudy.

"Jab tak tu mera peecha nahi chodega (As long as you don't leave my tail)" Om replied back with snark.

"Yeah, yeah, you and your sad jokes. On a serious note, have you seen our mother glowing like this before?" said Rudy, with distinct pride.

"Yes, the day you passed out of school, because none of us from the family thought you will." said Om, taking the mickey out of Rudy. "But I concur. Mom is looking alive and elated. I can't express how happy I am to see her like this. She is glowing brighter than the moon on a full moon day." 

"Ugh O, I think joining the business has ruined your poetry, how cheesy you sound." said Rudy, clicking his tongue.

"I wish Mom had started her business earlier, it might have stopped her from sinking into the pits of depression." said Om, his face falling.

"O, don't dampen the mood. We are all together here, after so long, on a happy occasion. Let Mom see her four kids joyous at her business launch party, lets all toast to her success. Also, today is my cheat day so I can eat anything. C'mon O, cheer up, for our mother." cajoled Rudy.

Omkara gave in, and allowed himself to be pulled into the party, with the rest of the Oberois.

 Again, he thought back to Chulbul's words, Even in pitch darkness, a ray of light of light can be seen, if only the seeker is looking for it. 

Yuhn Hota Toh Kya Hota- Rikara FFOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara