20 - After Party

Homecoming.

Today is my first ever homecoming.

I never went back in Montana. I am so excited to go to this dance.

I get a text from Opal so I quickly check.

Opal: so excited for tonight! Cant

wait to see you in your dress xoxox

Me: me too! Your dress is so gorgeous

cannot wait to see you in it, see you in a few

I could almost squeal. I'm so excited. I check my phone and it is 5:30. Still three hours left. Sigh.

I decide to get into the shower since three hours was short when you had a lot to do. I get my favorite shower gel and shampoo. I stand under the water after washing myself. Why do I have a gut feeling telling me to stay home? I decide to ignore it as I step out of the shower. I wrap my hair in a towel as well as my body.

I start applying makeup as I hear a buzzing from my room. I rush to get my phone and pick up.

"Hello?" I speak into the phone.

"Hey babe." I hear Daniel sigh into the phone. He sounds frustrated.

"What's wrong?" I ask as I put the phone on speaker walking back to continue applying makeup.

"I can't tie this fucking tie." I hear him groan.

"You're already dressed?" I exclaim confused.

"Babe, it's 6." I says as if it were obvious. "And I have to go buy you somethings."

I instantly blush. "So, when are we going?" I ask as I finished doing my makeup. I decide to throw on some sweat pants and a sports bra.

"I can pick you up at 7:50?" He asks.

"Yeah sounds good." I reply biting the inside of my cheek.

"Cool, bye." He says as he ends the call.

I finally get to think about my dress. I had a floor length maroon dress. It was strapless and well fitted up until my waist. From my waist and below, it flowed to the ground. Daniel will be wearing the same color tie. I decide to charge my phone before I lay back on my bed. All I can do is wait.

***

"Dad take the picture already." I groan getting a bit frustrated that he has been crying the past 15 minutes. Of course, Corbyn who doesn't like Daniel decides to not be here. Instead he's at Jonah's house. Typical.

"Sorry," My dad sniffles and finally takes the picture. My dress perfectly matches Daniel's tie. I put my hair into a high, tight ponytail.

"Dad, It's just a dance." I walk up to him as I laugh giving him a tight hug.

"You're right. Ok now go before I cry again." He says shooing us off.

Once we step outside I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Ready?" I ask as Daniel looks at me.

"You look stunning Nat." He breathes out. He takes my hand as he leads me to his slick black Tesla. "Next stop, homecoming." He smiles as he starts the engine.

***

The whole of homecoming was pretty boring. Many teachers were there and not many seniors showed up. Everyone was was waiting for where they could get trashed; Carter's house. I spent most of homecoming with Opal, although I was third wheeling a bit. Her and Nathan were beyond cute, I almost thought they were dating. Nathan stayed by her almost the entire homecoming while Daniel, who I was actually dating, only danced the slow song with me.