4 - The Project and The Game

I drove home from school in Jonah's car. I parked his car in his driveway and headed over to my house. It was 1:30.

"Hey dad," I said entering through the front door.

"Hey, sweetie." He said kissing the top of my head. "How was your day?"

"It was good. By the way dad, I'm going to a football game at 7 with one of my friends." I said making my way up the stairs until I got called back.

"Why are you wearing Jonah's sweater?" He said in a manner that was obviously suggesting I was with Jonah.

"Dad, no. I don't like him. Ew, he just lent it to me because someone spilled coffee on my shirt." I answered ridding my head of Jonah.

"Ok, well have fun at the game. I have some work to do." He said walking over to his office space.

I made my way up the stairs and opened my laptop to start some homework.

Suddenly, I got an email from my FAC teacher.

'Good evening FAC class, although you did not have class today, I wanted to give you a heads up on your semester project. You must work with the partner I assigned you and deduce how a family is an important aspect of a community. You and your partner will write a paper about this. Your partnerships are listed below.

-Mr.Evanson'

I scrolled down until I saw my name.

'Natalie Tucker and Jonah West'

Of flipping course, I was paired with Jonah. I mean, not all bad boys are dumb, right?

I decided to start my homework, which was not that much. Around 4, Corbyn arrived. I leaped off my bed and ran to his room to spill everything to each other as we usually did.

"Hey Cor," I said plopping down on his bed.

"Hey Talia," He said turning around to look at me. His eyes went wide when they landed on what I was wearing. "DAD! DAD!" He yelled running around the house. No, no, no.

"Corbyn! Stop!" I said trying to shut him up.

"DAD! TALIA IS WEARING JONAH'S HOODIE!" He yelled finally reaching my dad.

"I know you ding-dong, and apparently she doesn't like him, but she is going to his game tonight." My dad said playing along with Corbyn.

I ran a hand through my hair and massaged my temples.

"Whatever," I said making my way up the stairs to finish my homework.

I finished around 5 so I decided to watch some Netflix while soaking in a bath.

At 6, I started getting ready for the game. I promised both Opal and Jonah I would go.

I put on a pair of shorts and a random shirt I yanked off a hanger. I was good at that, wearing random clothes.

I walked down the stairs and decided to see if Corbyn wanted to come.

"Hey Cor, you want to come to the game?" I yelled up the stairs.

"No, I'm good." He said back. I shrugged and walked out of the house. I held Jonah's hoodie and keys in my hand. A sudden breeze of cold air hit and as much as I didn't want to, I put the sweater on.

***

I arrived at school and I saw Opal at the ticket booth so I went up to her.

"Hey Opal," I said smiling at her.

"Nat, hey." She said examining me closely. "Hm, so much for him not being your man." She said smiling a huge smile. "I'm so happy for you!"

"Opal, no, it's not like that. Someone spilled coffee on me and he happened to be there so he gave me his hoodie and car keys and told me that I should go home but I had to promise to go to the game." I rambled knowing exactly where I messed up.