3 - Sweater

ring ring ring

my phone rang beside my ear. 

ring ring ring

I have school today. The first day of school at Palo Alto High. I end the timer on my phone and I see that it 6 a.m. I decided to take a shower and to look decent on the first day of school.

I stepped out of the shower onto the cold tiles of the bathroom. I stand in front of the mirror and decide on what to do with my hair. I leave it in its usual bun on the top of my head. I walked into my room and went to my closet.

I pulled out a pair of ripped jeans and a white crop top. I knew I was going to wear converse with this outfit.

I quickly remembered that I had to make my bag, so I quickly shoved my notebooks and pencils into my bag while I carried my 2 textbooks. I walked down the stairs, yawning so many times.

"Hey dad," I said right as my dad opened the door to get to his car.

"Hey Nat, have fun on your first day." He said walking out the door. School for me starts at 7:35 but it was a bit far, like a 20-minute drive. I guess I'll take an Uber since dad just left and I still, don't have my own car.

I pulled out my phone to check the time. 6:56. Crap, I have to start calling the uber. I grabbed a granola bar and stepped outside to wait for the Uber I still haven't called yet.

I immediately regretted it when I saw Jonah approach me. What does he want?

"Hey," He said finally getting close enough so that I could hear him.

"Hi," I answered shoving the granola bar into my mouth. I hope he was here to offer me a ride. "Why are you being so nice to me?" I asked, not knowing why, but I did.

He shrugged before giving me an answer. "I have my reasons." That made me roll my eyes. who says that? "Anyways, do you want a ride to school?" He asked, for the first time smiling at me. It took my breath away. His perfect teeth, lips and the stubble on his jaw. Wow.

"Yes please," I answered walking towards his car. Out of nowhere, his mom popped her head out of the house and waved to me.

"Hi, sweetie! Have a good day at school." She smiled widely at me.

"Thank you Mrs.West," I answered waving back at her.

"Call me Mary dear! Bye Jonah, love you!" She said and with a final wave, she closed the door.

"I love your mom," I said under my breath to Jonah. He just laughed and shook his head in response.

***

The school is huge. In my first 3 seconds, I bumped into more than 200 people. Jonah led me to the office so I could get my schedule and then left. I stood in the office all alone, waiting for a schedule.

10 minutes after being in the office, I walked around the building like a lost puppy. I didn't know where I was going but I sure as heck knew I was late. Finally, I found my class and walked in.

All eyes were on me. The girls giving me dirty looks and the guys checking me out. Crap, the only seat left was in the back. The teacher didn't see to notice that I came in late, so I just sat down and started following along.

***

My first two classes were boring and boring. They were English and chemistry. I had my lunch block right now. I decided to text Opal to see if she also had the same lunch block.

Me: hey Opal, its Nat

Opal: Nat! I thought u wud never text me!

Me: lol! do you have lunch now?