19 - Cookies

"Shut up." I groan into the phone as I hear Opal giggle. "Does everyone know?"

"Pretty much." She laughs again. Daniel and I have been dating since Saturday, not even that long yet so many people know. "I heard you're in for a treat on homecoming." I suddenly blush.

"No, we are moving slowly." I say. I hear Jonah's car pull up so I rush Opal off the phone. I throw on one of my hoodies to stall; waiting for him to get inside his house before I make my way over there.

Today is the day. The day I have to talk to Jonah about our trip. I hope this goes well.

I step out of my house and take in a deep breath. I slowly start walking to Jonah's house. He's already inside by now so I'm glad he doesn't see me approach his house. I knock twice before the door swings open. The warm smell of cookies instantly hits my nose as I take a deep breath in.

"Nat dear! I saw you making your way over here. How are you, Norman told me you were upset about missing dinner the other night, I have some cookies I just made if you want some." She smiles warmly at me. She reminds me in my mom of a way, always smiling. Mary's smile makes me smile right back at her.

"I'm good thank you. I'll take up your offer on cookies." I smile which makes her laugh a little.

"Are you here to speak to Jonah? He's upstairs." She says before she lets out a sigh. "He hasn't been the same, I don't know what's gotten into him." She says filling up a plate with cookies. I suddenly feel guilty. I know part of this is my fault. "Anyways, Jonah's sister, Julia, is coming back to town on the first Monday of your break, you will love her. Alright now, go on up." She says playfully shooing me after she hands me a plate full of warm cookies. I let out a small laugh as I make my way up the stairs taking a bite from one of them. These cookies are delicious. I continue walking until I reach Jonah's door. I knock before swinging the door open.

"Hi," I say awkwardly. I quickly scan his room. I can see that his room doesn't smell like alcohol or cigarettes. His head turns and his eyes meet mine. He was standing up by his dresser as he was throwing a hoodie on his bare torso. I force myself to look away. Although we 'recently' had an argument, I don't want things to be awkward between us. "You ok?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He says forcing a smile my way. I can tell he isn't. "Heard you and Daniel are a thing." He mutters under his breath as he sits down at his desk.

"Yeah, I heard about you and Maddie." I say back. He lets in a sharp breath before answering. I move to sit on his bed. "By the way your mom made some pretty bomb cookies." I say as I place them on the night table beside me. "I also heard that we are spending break together. What's the plan?"

"Well, we are going to Minnesota, we can find out the rest when we get there. He shrugs focusing back on his work.

"Cool. Are you excited for homecoming?" I ask receiving a shrug from him.

"Not going." He says nonchalantly.

"Not even to Carter's after party?" I say completley shocked. He isn't going to his best friends after party? I stand up and lean against his door.

"Might show up, not sure yet." He says shrugging again. "But uh, this may sound like, wierd, but if you need anything you can call me." He says not looking up from his work which I'm thankful for because I didn't want him to see the blush spread across my face. "I know you have a boyfriend, and you probably won't need or want to call me but I just thought-"

"If I need anything, I'll call you." I smile at him as he stands up quickly. He takes two long strides before his arms wrap around my shoulders. I am shocked but I quickly melt into his touch and wrap my arms around his torso.

"Just be careful alright." He speaks into my hair. "Drunk highschool kids aren't always the smartest to be around."

"I'll be safe." I say feeling content that he cares about my safety. Soon we pull away.

"Don't wanna upset your boyfriend." He grins as he walks away to sit at his desk.

"Right." I mumble under my breath.

"For the record, me and Maddie aren't dating, you know I hate her." He says as he chuckles. "It's just something I'm doing for a while." He sighs as he focuses back on his work.

"I see." I said even though I understood nothing. "Anyways, I should get going. When are we leaving again? For Minnesota."

"Wednesday. 8 days." He said not looking up.

"Cool." I say as I open the door of his room. "See you." I say as I walk out of his room closing his door and making my way back downstairs.

"Thank you Mary, the cookies were so good." I say smiling at her.

"I'm glad you enjoyed them." She smiled wide at me. "I guess I'll be seeing you before you and Jonah take off for Minnesota."

"Of course. Bye." I waved at her as I stepped out of the West's house.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I swear I didn't know what else to name the chapter if u have ideas leave them here ==> 

how did you like it OMGJRUFYVFUHVD TEA IS COMING NEXT CHAPTER & THE ONE AFTER