Part:14

Hasan Farooki's pov

"Hasan, Nayab hasn't called yet. It's very unusual. She used to call me every morning at sharp 7."My wife Samina Hasan Farooqui informed me whilst serving me breakfast and I was checking headlines from the newspaper which I found on the dining table as usual for decades.

" She must be busy. "I assured  her whilst folding the newspaper.
" I hope so. "She said nodding and sat beside me for breakfast.

As usual after breakfast I went to my college where I teach history.
I had just finished my first lecture and was walking through corridor towards the staff room to take the required materials for my next class when I heard my phone buzzing.

I took it out and it was unknown number. I picked it up.

"Assalam o Alaikum Baba." I heard Nayab saying. It's very unusual. She never called me in working hours.

"Wa Alaikum beta. Did you call your mamma? She was worried. Are you alright?" I asked her immediately and impatiently.

"Baba, I will tell you everything later. Now I just wanted to ask you a question." Why she sounds so serious unlike her and what question she wanted to ask me?

"What question beta? Are you alright. You called me from an unknown number, why?" My intuition was telling me that something bad is going to happen.

"Baba, am....... am I your own daughter?" Her question took me off guard.

"What are saying kid? Where are you? Who's with you?" I felt like the world was whirling around me.

"Baba, I need the damn answer." She was desperate for the truth but I can't tell her anything, at least not over the phone call.

"Nayab, listen kid, where are you?" I don't know what to do? I hope she remains calm.I know her past has somehow crossed her path.

"Baba, please tell me the truth. I need it as much as I need oxygen."She sounded so desperate, but I couldn't answer her over the phone call.

"Please tell me gudiya(doll) where are you? I will tell you everything but not like this. Please try to understand and keep your calm and tell me where are y......" She had cut the call before I can complete my sentence.

I know I had not denied her doubt which might have made her believe that.... that  she is not my own doughter.

I somehow in daze completed the whole procedure of leave before the actual day off and reached home.

On my way to home I called her boss and her friends but they all said that she was not in the office and her number was out of reach. Her roommate said that she didn't came hostel from yesterday and she thought she might has come home. I didn't want them to know about anything so at the end I assured them that she might be to her Aunt home and they believed me and didn't ask  any questions.

Allah please keep her under your protection.

I was standing before the door dreading to face Samina.
I finally with great effort rang the bell.  She was indeed very surprised to see me at home when I was supposed to be giving lecture. She looked at me  telling as if not dare to disclose any bad news.Only if she knew it was the worst news.

"Samina...... You...... You."  I stuttered for the first time in my life before my wife.

"What happened Hasan? Tell me already."I knew she was hardly keeping her calm.

" Nayab somehow know the truth." As these words left from my mouth  I saw Samina being pale.

" Hasan, how is that possible? We never told her anything. Mayb..... Maybe someone from her past has come across her. What we will do Hasan?" She was panicking.

" Samina calm down please. Let me find a way."I told her and took out my phone and dialled that unknown number from which Nayab has called.

Nobody was answering the call.

I looked at Samina who was silently looking at me to decipher what I was doing but visibly she was shivering.

After trying for nth time someone has picked the call.

The voice which said hello was so deep and manly.

Who is she with?

"Hello, my daughter before a while called me from this number." I said impatiently thinking he must be someone from whomNayab borrowed the phone.

The man on the other side was muttering something which was hard for me to comprehend. So to make  sure he get my point I informed him furthermore.

" Sir, my daughter Nayab Hasan Farooqui, she called me from this number. It will really be great help if you could tell me where she is?" I said keeping my calm.

"Nayab Hasan Farooqui, Hasan Farooki."
I heard his low shocked voice.

Why was he shocked?

Before I can say anything I heard his loud shocked voice.

"What?!!!"

What does he mean by what?

"I mean to say you are Mr. Hasan Farooqui, father of Nayab Hasan Farooqui." This time I heard his composed voice.

"Yes, can you please tell me where she is and how do you know her?" I asked him.

"Sir don't worry. After half an hour a car will pick you and your mrs. The driver will bring you to your daughter." I heard that man say in a calm composed voice.

But why driver he can simply tell me the address.

"You can tell me the address, we will come by ourselve. You don't need to bother." I voiced my thought.

"Sir try to understand. The driver is very much familiar with the ways and he will bring you here without any trouble. I assure you." He sounded genuine. So I gave up and answered him affirmatively and disconnected the call.

I looked at Samina who was looking at me for her unasked but very much visible questions.

" Samina, we are going to meet Nayab and I will answer your every question on the way." I told her dismissively.

She nodded.

"Should I pack something?" She asked.

"Yes please...... I will pack mine one, you can pack yours and some of Nayab's clothes."I said and moved towards the kitchen to wet my dry throat.

Before I face her I need to find a way to tell her the truth without hurting her.

___________________________________