XX - Regrets

A flock of birds perched on the classroom window. Jin smiled at the sight and went to get a small coffer containing glitter in jars, colored markers, stamps and animal stickers. He had to teach the youngest group in the whole school every Wednesday and he loved it; hanging out with pure and spontaneous first-graders was one of his favorite moments of the week. The small students entered the place in chaos and sought their seats when the bell rumbled.

"Okay, guys, pay attention. We will do a super fun activity today. You are going to tell me what you want to be when you grow up, what is going to be your job." The beautiful teacher announced as he handed out white sheets of paper to the children.

"When I grow up I want to beeee...." a little girl with two pigtails and an Anpanman sweater began to speak.

"But wait!" Jin interrupted. "You have to tell me with a drawing. That is why I am giving you materials. First, make your art piece and then tell the whole class why is this your dream job. Do you have any questions?"

"No, Professor Jung!" The students shouted in an out-of-tune chorus.

The black haired man turned to the window and noticed that the birds had left. For his own surprise, the children worked in silence and half an hour later he told them they had only five more minutes to finish the exercise and begin to present the result in front of everyone.

Having said that, one of his most timid students raised his hand and asked him to be the first one. That was a great joy for Jin. It's easy to make a teacher happy, he thought when he nodded to his anti-social student.

All the eyes stared to the child with delicate features that rose slowly from his place and with small steps managed to stand up next to the board. Although he was one of those people unable to fit into a group of friends, Jin knew he was one of the brightest students he had been in charge of; his creativity overflow every time he did a task and was perceptive for matters related to numbers and letters.

"I want to be a musician when I grow up" the boy spoke softly and showed his drawing: a person made with black ink and simple strokes. The only thing that stood out for its brightness were a pair of maracas made with dried macaroni covered in red glitter. "On my last vacation my mommy and my daddy took me to a place called El Caribe. There I heard an old man playing these things, they are called maracas. Everyone was happy when they heard the sound that the old man made when he moved the maracas in every direction. CHI-CHICHICHI-CHI" the child tried to emulate the music of the instrument before continuing with his story. "I'm going to be a maracas player when I grow up because I want everyone to smile and dance around me."

The room drowned in a strange calm that broke when the rest of the students applauded the participation of their classmate. It is easy to imagine why Jin didn't join the cheers that surrounded him without being able to return him to reality. The only thing he could think of now was the big fight he had had with Jungkook the day before.

His brother had finally decided to tell him the truth; he told him that he was still seeing that hateful saxophonist and that he was madly in love with him even though his affection was not completely reciprocated. He also confessed that he needed his help and even dared to mention his crazy plan to help all the musical ensemble of the university.