XV - Night

The saxophonist accidentally bit his tongue as he spoke; although he felt the metallic taste of his blood, he continued with the speech without flinching:

"We are very sorry to have disappointed the people who kindly devoted their Sunday to music, to OUR music. But we needed to do it. Now we have the attention of all of you including the media. We needed to tell you that the conditions in which this group of students work is neither fair nor fertile. We know that you were not aware of the amount of money we must pay to have decent medical insurance. Do you really believe that we are able to pay for college, housing, food and now this? The Free University of Music has been our home, but we need the empathy of its owners. We need to remain part of this respectable institution and be treated as the fundamental members that we are within it. Without students there is no university! Without musicians there is no orchestra!"

Taehyung didn't wear his typical smile when he voiced the final two sentences and the group of musicians behind him repeated them with their raised fists. There were no lonely hands in that community of students, but that didn't stop them from having a taste of frustration in their mouths.

The young man made a last bow to say goodbye to the reporters who were suffocating him with all kinds of microphones and video cameras. This experience was new to him and had made him feel horror, vehemence and disappointment. He took his instrument case and walked away with Hoseok, who was holding him by the shoulders. Both boys, who until now had continued to cover their concerns with jokes, now seemed sad and silent.

Tae decided it was time for another meeting with Mr. Song, the Human Resources Director at the university.

[...]

"Your plans have been unskillful, Mr. Kim."

"I know they seemed enraged but there was no other way, sir," said the boy while trying to decipher Song's gesture.

"Much more than 'enraged' I would say. You didn't think about everything that your own educational institution would lose. Do you know what will happen now? If you all don't want to go to a trial and then be expelled, it's better for you brats to pay the money we lost for your behavior and PAY FOR THAT HEALTH INSURANCE."

"Pay for missing the concert?"

"Of course. The audience asked for their money back and although there was no show we spent wons on electricity, cleaning staff and other expenses."

Tae suddenly got up from his seat and slapped both palms on the desk.

"Then expel us, GODDAMN! EXPEL EVERYONE AND EMPTY THIS STUPID SCHOOL."

Upon leaving, he remembered what Yoongi had advised him over and over again before his meeting with that bureaucrat: Whatever you do, don't insult him or shout at him, keep your composure even if he provokes you. In short, the situation was getting worse.

"Shit," the gray-haired one chattered before calling Jungkook.