Chapter 34

Quinn

I drove quickly to Everett's house, where he opened the door before I could knock, slamming it shut behind me.

As soon as I was inside his arms wrapped around me, his lips hitting mine with bruising force.

"You want to tell me what all that was?" He said as we stumbled into his bedroom.

"An act. They'll follow him." I explained. "But don't worry. I'm still yours."

By then I was naked and he was slowly caressing my body.

He spread my legs, readying himself. "Then I have a favor to ask."

"Anything." I whispered as he pushed himself into me.

"Next time." He said, thrusting slowly. "Wear more accessible clothing."

*****

After our little rendezvous I got in my car and drove away before calling him.

"You're just lucky I have so much self control. I didn't leave a single mark."

I laughed. "I don't care if you do. I like to refuse him when he's angry."

"I'll remember that for next time." He said.

A moment of silence passed.

"Quinn I'm sorry." Everett said.

"For what?" I asked.

"I shouldn't be putting you in danger like this for my own selfish needs." He said.

"I wouldn't call it selfish. Your body wants what it wants and I'm just glad it wants me." I said.

"Well what does your body want?" He asked.

"Right now? Burritos." I said, pulling into Taco Bell's drive thru.

"Way to kill the mood. Anyway I gotta go. I have to meet my sister's boyfriend tonight." He said.

"You don't sound excited." I said.

"I'm not. Good night." He said.

"Night." I said and hung up, ready to order.

I ordered for everyone, texting Violet I had picked up dinner, before heading home.

I got out and stopped, he had been standing at the edge of the property. "What do you want?"

"So you're running with witches now?" He asked.

"What?" I asked.

He took a step forward and was hurled backwards into the street.

He got up, running at the house but once again being thrown off his feet.

"You set that witch on me." I said, realization dawning.

"No. She set herself on you." He said. "She was my mate."

On rare occasions a witch and a wolf can be mated. But wolves high power, though it is legal, think it's a disgrace to be with them almost as much as humans.

"I warned her against coming here. Told her I wouldn't save her because I love you." He said. "I offered her the chance to be my personal concubine. She'd have lived like a Luna."

'In that case I'm glad she's dead.' Leia said. 'No one deserves that.'

"You're a sad, pathetic excuse for an Alpha and I'll be damned if you're ever in my bed again." I said.

"No matter how much you deny it I can feel the electricity between us." He said.

"You sound dumb." I said, walking into the house. "Go home and sulk, you're ruining our curb appeal."

"You ok?" Violet said as I sat the food on the counter.

"That witch was his mate." I said quietly. "Tell River he can have mine. I've lost my appetite."

I went back to my room and shut the door, flopping down on my bed.

I could still hear him screaming at me so I picked up my phone.

The phone rang three times before it was answered. "Hello?"

"Hi Dad." I said.

"Hey Quinn. We were just talking about you." He said.

"How have you been?" I asked.

"It's been easier. Though we've been under pressure since your trial." He said. "When will you come back to visit?"

"Soon. I'll have to find time between my classes and avoiding Chance." I said.

"So that's where he's been. We've been without an Alpha and by further extention without protection for a week now."

"Doesn't that mea-"

"Yes. We can't get your Mother the medicine we thought she needed."  He said.

"Thought?" I asked.

"Turns out Sky was right. It was the size of her dosage that was making her sicker." He explained. "I've rationed what we have, giving her smaller doses and she's getting better."

"So you think she'll be alright?" I sat up.

"See for yourself. Come home." He said. "She wants to see you."

"Ok." I said, dazed.

"Can you make it today?" He asked. "It would be a wonderful surprise."

"She's not there? She's out?" I asked.

"Yes." He said excitedly. "She's gone for a run."

"See you soon." I said and hung up.

I jumped up and ran back to the front of the house. "Violet! She got better!"

"Who?" Violet asked.

"My mom. She went for a run on her own." I took off my shoes. "I'm going to see her."

"Be safe and tell her we said hi." She said.

I back to the bathroom, taking off my earrings and running out the back door, coming face to face with another wolf.

This wolf had sand-colored fur with dark eyes.

"Mom." I said.

She cuddled against me.

"You look so much better now." I said. "And you don't have your machine."

She pranced like a horse, flicking her tail gracefully.

I went back inside and grabbed one of my gowns so she could shift.

She crouched for a second, panting. She hadn't shifted in a long time. It must have exhausted her.

She stumbled as she stood and I reached out to catch her, wrapping my arms around her.

"How are you sweetheart?" She asked.

"Better now that you are." I said. "When did you stop using the machine?"

"Today. I turned it off. I wanted real air." She said.

"Mom you could've died." I pulled away.

"But I'm didn't. And even if I did I'd want my last breath to be of fresh, real air. Rather than artificial oxygen." She said. "I came to see you and tell you, you can come home now."

"No, I can't." I said. "There's nothing for me there."

"Is it Chance? Cause now that I've got my wolf back I should give him a piece of my m-"

"No." I stopped her. "Come inside and I'll explain everything."

******

This chapter was peaceful in my opinion. Let's call it a follow up on bad news.
Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋 aa