Chapter 17

Quinn

After giving a short speech Alpha Chance walked up to me. "Quinn."

"Alpha Grayson." I said, resisting the urge to roll my eyes.

He wrapped an arm around my waist and I noticed that he reeked of alcohol.

Violet pulled away from him and into a hug. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I nodded as she pushed me away, shifting into her coppery brown wolf, Penny.

Penny winked at me momentarily before trotting to join River's wolf, who sat at the edge of the treeline waiting for her.

Hopefully next time Leia might join them.

The Alpha slung his arm around my shoulder. "So...you wanna go for a run?"

"Ugh." I pushed him away from me and walked in any random direction.

"Doll face." He called after me, following me.

I couldn't have been happier when one of his friends challenged him to a race.

The Alpha wasn't one to back down from a challenge.

Ever.

I took this as an opportunity to escape.

I took off my heels and slipped into the woods unnoticed.

I walked along the path that led us into the valley.

This path is specifically marked by a scent that the ally packs know but enemies do not.

So that the other packs can find their way here.

Trees and rocks were used to build walls that look like dead ends to humans, forcing them to turn back.

Wolves can be clever.

I turned a corner and was almost run over by a truck.

The window rolled down and a woman beckoned me over. "Hey sweet pea. Would you be able to give us directions to Elmhurst?"

"Sure." I said. "Just take a U-turn and take a right at the bridge."

"Thank you." The woman said.

"And how exactly will we know when we're in Elmhurst?" The man next to her asked a little too grumpily for my liking.

So I spoke to him in the same tone.

"Well if you go the way I tell you there should be this big green sign that says something like 'Welcome to Elmhurst'." I said sarcastically, smiling.

The woman thanked me again as they drove off.

My wolf started going crazy as I turned another corner.

'Mate!' Leia screamed.

'Alright I'm looking.' I told her.

A wonderful scent of Almonds and fresh Cotton caught my attention and I followed it.

I rounded another corner and came face to face with the most beautiful pair of blue eyes I had ever seen.

'Mate!' Leia said excitedly.

"God you're pretty." He said.

Leia's tail started to wag.

"Thank you." I smiled. "I'm Quinn."

"Everett." He held out his hand. "Nice to meet you."

I held in a gasp as sparks shot up my arm and through my body when I grasped his hand.

"Can I ask what such a beautiful girl like you is doing walking around the forest at this time of night?" He asked.

"Could I ask you the same thing?" I asked.

"Touché." He laughed. "I don't know actually. I just felt a sudden urge if that makes sense."

It makes perfect sense.

"Well I'm just trying to get away from the rat race." I said and that scent that I hated so much engulfed me.

"Quinn." He drew out my name.

I blinked and let out a deep breath. "What do you want Chance?"

I turned to see him leaning against a tree, shirt buttons undone and hair messy.

He had followed me.

'I say we kill him.' Leia said.

Chance grimaced but we both knew he couldn't say anything with Everett standing there.

"Come back to the party with me." He said.

"No." I said.

His eyes flashed.

Knight had surfaced.

"Would it help if I said please?"

"No." I said. "Go away. Leave me alone."

He eyed Everett. "I'm more handsome than him. What does he have that I don't have ten times better?"

"Common curtesy." I said.

He cocked an eyebrow and grabbed my arm roughly, whispering in my ear. "When I tell you to do something, you do it. You fucking whore."

He's drunk and Knight's in control.

What's the worst that could happen?

"Dude chill." Everett put a hand on his shoulder and he collapsed.

"Oh my gosh!" I said. "What did you do?"

He killed the Alpha.

'Good riddance.' Leia said.

"Relax. He's sleeping." Everett didn't seem worried. "No woman should be treated like that."

'Damn.' Leia rolled her eyes. 'It's nice that he cares though.'

My cheeks grew warm.

Compassion.

Also something that Chance doesn't have.

"So you wanna tell me the story over some dinner?" He asked.

"Are you asking me out?" I asked.

"Maybe. Maybe not." He said.

"What's for dinner?" I asked.

He smiled. "Whatever you like."

He offered me his arm and I took it, stepping over Chance. "By the way, you've got to teach me that trick."

We didn't walk far before we got to his truck.

"On the second date." He said. "Today I just want to learn more about you."

"There's gonna be a second date?" I asked.

"Of course." He said, opening the door for me.

He helped me into the passenger seat.

He closed my door and I put my heels back on as he walked around the front of the truck.

He got in, started the car and I gave him directions to the main road.

"So what did you want to know about me?" I asked.

"I want to know..." He started. "Why a girl like you keeps showing up in my hallucinations."

*********

This might be my favorite chapter in the entire book.
Seriously.
Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋