Chapter 31

Quinn

Much to Amber's dismay I did stand in a corner for much of the party.

Though they strategically placed me where I could be seen I gave gave the press short and simple answers, not wanting to talk.

I accepted a drink from everyone that passed with a tray.

Violet was sitting nearby, facetiming with River and Samantha.

Consequently enough Everett was here. I had seen him a few times but I made sure he hadn't seen me.

I couldn't afford to cry.

Literally. My foundation by itself was almost sixty dollars. The mascara was sixty dollars.

So when I saw him approaching me I quickly downed the rest of my drink.

I will not lose my nerve.

I handed off my glass to another server and smiled.

He didn't look happy, stepped up to me and his hands went to my neck, rubbing gently.

"You'll smear my makeup." I said.

"So?" He said. "You've covered my artwork."

"Everett-" I started.

"Come dance with me." He said, pulling me towards the dance floor.

I looked around and reluctantly fell into step with him.

He wound his arms around my waist, pulling me against his chest.

I wrapped mine around his neck and he started to gently sway us, back and forth, in slow circles.

"You are beautiful." He whispered in my ear.

I laid my head on his shoulder. "Everett, we need to talk."

He sighed. "I know."

"So you know what about?" I asked.

"Chance." He said.

"Then you know our relationship has to end tonight." I said. "You know I can't let you get hurt."

"I know I'm not allowed to say but I'm not scared of him. You're mine and he can't have you." He said aggressively.

"He always gets whatever he wants. He's the leader." I said.

"Quinn, you know I'm willing to risk everything to be with you?" He asked.

We stopped at the same time and he looked at me. "Nothing's going to change it if we don't do something. Let's revolt."

"Everett we can't." I said. "He'd kill you in an instant."

"Then you can believe that before I die I'll put a baby in you." He said. "And that child, our child, will someday finish the job for me."

I hadn't even realized that we were no longer in the crowded room with all the cameras and people.

Now we were standing outside, on a balcony. Just us.

"Everett, you shouldn't make empty threats." I said, looking over the balcony.

He grabbed my arm, spinning me around and pressing me against the balcony. "I wasn't kidding. I'll do it now if you want."

His hand caressed my stomach and I stopped him. "Everett, please."

"We do not have to be apart." He said. "We can overthrow him. Together. But I want you by my side."

I didn't respond and he hitched my leg around his hip, kissing my neck lightly. "Tell me you'll stay."

I let out a breath. "Everett. The party."

He shushed me, biting down. "Say you'll stay. That's all I want and I'll give you what you want."

"I-" His hand slid down my thigh, squeezing gently in all the right places.

I shouldn't have come tonight.

I shouldn't be doing this.

Chance could be anywhere, waiting.

We should stop.

"Yes." I whispered. "I'll stay."

He smiled against my skin. "Alright."

"But promise me. We'll be more careful." I asked as he slowly got down on one knee and put my lef over his shoulder.

"We will. But worry about that later." He said. "For now I only want you to moan for me."

*******

I went home after the party ended, dragging in a half awake Violet with me and smiling from ear-to-ear.

I thanked Ethan and Amber after they dropped us off and went inside.

River, who sat at the counter waiting, rushed to catch Violet as she almost fell over.

"Hey Vi." River said, picking her up bridal style.

"So tired." She mumbled.

"I know." He said.

He carried them back to their bedroom and I followed behind them, turning off the lights.

I shut my door quietly and my phone started to ring.

I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Did you make it home safe?" He asked.

"No sign of him." I said.

"Good." He sighed.

"When will I see you again?" I asked.

"This weekend. A friend and I are going out of town for the next three days." He said. "Can I pick you up from school?"

"Near the courtyard." I said.

"Alright." He said.

"You know, sometimes, I think you're with me for my body." I said.

"No." He said. "I'm with you because you're the perfect combination of dominant and submissive."

"That's not what you're supposed to say." I laughed.

"Well it's true." He laughed. "But I'm also with you because you're funny, a realist and mysterious."

"So not only am I your personal dancer but I'm also your personal mystery."

"Exactly." He said and I laughed.

"I have classes tomorrow so I have to say goodnight." I said.

"Ok." He said. "Night."

"Night." I said and hung up.

*******

Saturdays update two days late😖😖😖. I apologize.
Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋