Chapter 34

As his body falls to the ground, the shield that I had been forming is completely forgotten. I feel so empty, my heart is pacing. I don't question it when the wolf joins him, I rush the few feet to where he lies, and collapse to the ground.

Something inside of me breaks as I see his body shudder. The emptiness that fills me is overwhelming, and I can't even feel sorrow.  I don't feel worried, nor scared, but all I want is for him to be safe, and to feel complete again.

A part of me already knows that I will forever be broken.

I pull his head into my lap and look down into his glassy brown eyes. I try to enter his body, to try and heal him, but I can't. Why does my power fail me now, dammit?

I cradle his head in my lap and hold my hands across his neck, still trying to heal him. His blood slowly seeps out of the wound from the wolve's claws and mixes with those of the dead. Why can't I heal him? Every time I tried before, it had worked, except...

"Alex... No..." My voice is less than a whisper, as I look at my best friend as he lies still. I ignore the battle around me, ignorant of whether someone could come up behind me at any moment.

"ALEX!" This time, I scream, my voice croaky, as my hands are still shaky. I look up as I hear footsteps from behind, believing that I am about to meet my end.

"Violet," I hear the Queen's soft voice from behind me, and I feel no relief about avoiding my death. No. All I feel is empty. "He's gone."

"No," I refuse to let go of the hope that somewhere inside there, he's still alive. He has to be. Although Alex wasn't always the nicest, he was always there when I needed him. Forgotten memories all rush back to me, and I finally begin to sob.

The tears stream down my face, and I look down at him. I close his eyelids, not wanting to see his once warm eyes in this glassy state. His facial expression shows no pain, no, his lips curl upwards, almost as if he was proud of what he has done.

I turn to back to the Queen, fire filling my watery eyes, "Why did you kill the wolf so late? You could have saved him!" I gasp for breath between every syllable.

"Violet, I only noticed too late... I am sorry..." She says, but her words do not console me. I look back at his face and wonder if it was all my fault.

"I could have trained harder at healing. I could have reacted faster, if I had been seconds faster I could have saved hi-" I begin to mutter to myself, but then I get interrupted by a familiar voice.

"You could not heal the dead, Violet," Melissa. She looks down at the lifeless body of her child, and her eyes don't hold any tears. Her face is grim, and she hasn't broken, even though she lost all her family in the one day.

Her son, her husband, their small family destroyed. I could say that I knew Melissa to be strong, but that would be a lie. Melissa had always come across as weak, fragile, her only role to be Beta's wife. And yet, faced with the death of her mate and child, she didn't break, but I did.

"There isn't any time for grieving, Violet." She bends down next to me. "Your father is dying, and we can mourn after the battle. I have heard of your powers, and he saved you so you could live. So you could help. Don't dishonour his death."

Silently, I stand up and take one last look at his body. Tears well up once more, and I still wonder what I could have done to fix it all. I step away and wipe my eyes with my dirty sleeve.

I won't remember him in this state, the wound in his chest is something I can't forget, but the most prominent memories should be the happy ones. Childishly playing hide and seek in the fields. Birthday parties, crazy adventures planned by the two of us.

He had already matured way before I, he saw the reality of the world, the danger. Alex was always prepared, his reflexes perfect. I saw that today, but I was too slow. I only realise now that I haven't grown up, no, today is the day when reality comes and hits me in the face.

And if I know the dangers and facts of reality, I know what actions to take next.

I walk away from the corpse of my soulmate and go to rejoin the battle, to help finish the fight which he died for. If we aren't victorious, all these deaths will be in vain.

So we will win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my amazing readers!

I actually cried whilst writing this... Alex... I know a lot of you probably didn't like him, but I still felt so sad... 

Anyway, thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed this chapter please consider leaving a vote and/or a comment.

ONE MORE CHAPTER!!!! Then, well, we have a book for Mikaela, but I feel that a sequel for Violet may be in order. Would anyone read that, or would this be enough for the end? I'd be writing it so it can be read as standalone, if I was, but it may be about Vi finding love, and getting over the idea of 'betraying' him.

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk