Chapter 6

Out on the empty field, the feeling of the wind blowing through my hair is amazing. Times like these are what make me feel alive.

Alex nudges me, and I realise that I hadn't heard anything that Mr Harris has said.

"Now go!" Mr Harris commands, and Alex brings his wrist to his mouth and transforms, and I decide to follow suit.

'What are we doing?' I ask Alex. 

'Don't you ever pay attention?' he replies in a humorous tone. 

'Nope, so, can you please tell me?' I run after the black figure in front of me, catching up quickly.

'Nah.'

'Why not?'

'Because I need to concentrate.' He quickens his pace and I hear his grin, 'Just follow me, and you'll be fine.'

'If you need to concentrate, don't I?' I question.

He doesn't respond.

'I really think you should explain it to me-', I feel his wall go up, and my words can't get through. I try to push through it lightly, but it doesn't work out. 

I follow him, silently questioning what will happen. 

'Violet. Now!', as I run, I suddenly hear Mr Harris.

'Huh? What's going on?'

'Attack him, now!'

Why am I supposed to fight Alex? That doesn't make sense, but okay. I see that Alex has already stopped, having sensed the mind connection, but not quite being able to hear it.

I jump, and land on top of him, and bring my teeth towards his neck. However, he was ready for it, and he tries to tackle me. A bite to the neck is the only way to get another wolf to transform, but as soon as they can get their wrist back up to their mouth, they can transform again. If you want someone to transform into their wolf, you just have to pressure them, as there is no known way to force it.

He manages to flip me over, and I bear my teeth at him and growl. He flinches, and I push my head onto his jaw, making him jump, his pressure off of me for a second, so I push just a bit harder and manage to throw him off enough to stand up.

However, just as I get to my feet, he pounces on me, this time. I try to shake him off, but his size and strength are too strong compared to my own. I feel his breath on my neck, and the teeth go in.

I laugh as I transform, although slightly annoyed that I lost. I shove Alex away, and he transforms.

"That was predictable." We both jump as we hear our teacher's voice as he walks out from between the trees.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"The results of that conflict", Mr Harris responds, "Violet, you losing to Alex, even though you had the upper hand by being the attacker."

"That's unfair!" I exclaim, "Alex has more training than me in fighting!" Father had never let me train to protect myself.

"Even so, it's the truth." Mr Harris responds, "And Violet, your body isn't built for a fight. You're too small, and your limbs don't have enough muscle on them."

"If I worked on it..."

"No, Violet, you won't ever be successful in fighting as someone like Alex, who has been training his whole life, and is on the bigger side."

Black wolf genetics always were bigger on average, the same with white wolves. I, a grey wolf, definitely did not have the advantage on that factor.