Chapter 24

I never thought that a room could ever be as loud as the one I am in right now.

None of the children around even seem to be trying. A few of them have already been able to do it, but not me. The Queen told me it would be harder now that I have gained my affinity and my magicks are out of balance, but somehow I think she just said that to try and make me feel better.

It's been 5 weeks since I came to the witches. 3 weeks since they made me go to this 'class'. I'm over twice the age of everyone else in this room, except the teacher. This whole time we've been trying to learn how to control the 3 early magicks. Heat, light and force.

I already can, as can all the others, primitively use heat and light. But I just can't seem to get a grip onto use force. Dammit, this seems impossible.

I wave my hand aggressively, trying once more to knock the apple off the desk. Stupid apple. Suddenly, the apple flies off the desk and hits the ground with a satisfying 'THUMP'

Ms McKelly looks up from her desk and smiles at me. "Well done, Violet. You may leave now." She tells me.

I gratefully stand up, gathering up my notebook and pencil cases. As I leave the room I hear whines of, "No fair!" and "Why does she get to leave and I don't?"

Brats.

It's so uncomfortable being surrounded by those 8-year old kids all day. Like, I'm twice as old, couldn't I have just learnt it all from someone else?

I find it strange, magic. A lot of it is based on science. Force magick especially, as it reminds me a lot of wolven transformation. In force magick, the particles become closer together and become denser, and it gathers to the point where it works like a solid, and you can use it as an extension of yourself.

Rushing down the halls, as to return to my room, I crash into someone.I hit the ground with a 'Thump' and then look up to see who I bumped into.

The Queen.

"S-sorry," I stutter, as I get to my knees, trying to gather up my notepad and pencil case in which I dropped. I scramble to my feet and hastily bow.

"Calm down, Violet. Have you finished class?" She asks, dignified as always.

"Yes, ma'am," I reply. 

She laughs at my manners, "I've told you that we don't use titles here. Or anything of the sort. No witch is any more important than the other. Anyway, we could do some extra training, if you like."

"Ugh..." I groan, "Not more school."

 She begins to walk, and I hasten as to catch up to her, "No, don't worry, it isn't class. I mean that we can try and work on your affinity. After all, although you have a forest affinity, everyone's is different."

"Oh, so how does it work?"

"An affinity is a blessing, from the moon goddess."

"Wait," I pause, as I try to comprehend what she has said, "The moon goddess? But that's the wo-"

"Yes, I know they worship her, also. After all, wolves are just cursed witches." She comments.

"What?"

She hesitates than speaks, "A long time ago, there was a war between witches when male witches still existed. They wanted to be in charge, and so they fought us. They tried to transform themselves into wolves, as to fight us since they knew they couldn't win by magic."

She continues, "They lost, of course. And they participated in magicks which were banned long before that, and so, she punished them. She took their magic and made them forever be half wolf. She expected them to all die out, as they were all male, but they didn't.

"They married human women, and all of the children could turn into a wolf at will. However, no male has ever been born with the ability to do magic, after that day. The wolves still try to redeem themselves by sacrifice."

The blood moon.

We reach the library and her facial expression changes, "Oh, I shocked you. They don't teach you any of that?"

"No."

"I'm not surprised. They probably all removed it from their history a long time ago."

She smiles at me as we sit down at a table. A few books lie on the table and a plant pot. She hands me the plant pot and I look at it, confused.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" I question.

"Just focus on the plant's energy, and try to make it grow."

I try to do as she said, and I can feel the energy, but only slightly.

"It doesn't seem to be working..." I say, and the Queen looks at me and smiles.

"That's alright. You may be stronger in other things, but it can also just take time."

I spend a few more moments holding the pot and glaring at the plant when suddenly, the door to the library flies open.

"Hello?" She calls out to the almost empty library, looking around and then eventually noticing us, "Oh, so you decided to teach her yourself? I didn't understand why you decided to send her to the school. You didn't send me."

"Well, you were a bit different, Mikaela." The Queen speaks, "Anyway, what is troubling you?"

"There's been more attacks. You need to come, now." Mikaela speaks, and the Queen goes to follow her.

"Violet, continue practising this."

"Can't I-"

"No, Violet. Maybe after you have some more training." The Queen answers and then leaves the room. 

I go straight back to my plant, wanting to be able to help with something as soon as possible

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HEY MY ABSOLUTELY AWESOMEST READERS

WE HIT 1K! 1K!!!! I WOKE UP THIS MORNING AND SAW IT AND ACTUALLY SQUEALED! I know it doesn't seem much in comparison to other books, but seeing that little 'K' mark is absolutely crazy, especially this fast

I'd like to thank you all so much, and I have two more shout outs for two very engaging readers, llokied and muckyb03, it's readers like you guys who comment and vote that inspire me to keep writing!

Anyway, thank you so much for reading, and I hope that you'll consider taking the time out of your day to vote and/or comment. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

-EarlyDusk