Chapter 8

As Father begins to welcome everyone to the disco, I sit on one of the back tables that have been pushed against the wall to clear the floor space. Conveniently, I'm also only a few metres away from the snack table.

The 'Blood Moon Disco' as it's christened, is only for those 17 and older. Although, the oldest people seem to still be under 30. I can already tell that everyone, including myself, is ignoring what my father is saying.

"And thank you. We can now begin." My father finishes, and the music turns on.

The room has maybe around 100 people in it. A lot of them probably come from the 'town', a place about 20 kilometres down the road, with a school and cafe. I don't go there much, but I know father goes down a few times a week. I mean, he is the alpha. But a lot of pups are kept away during their childhood since there can always be someone who's out to get us.

I swing my legs, as they can't reach the ground. Unsurprisingly, not many people come back here, even though there is the food. But I guess, most people have more of an interest in dancing. For some people, it may also be their chance to meet their mate, if they live in the more outer farms.

"You look lonely." I hear a voice comment, and I snap back to reality.

"You could say that", I find myself admitting.

The man smiles, and he only looks around my age. He's no older than 19, that's for sure. He holds out his hand, but I don't take it.

"You know, when you meet someone, you usually shake hands. You must be really alone if you don't know that", he says.

"Well, I don't really care for traditions."

"Fair enough", he sits on the table, sliding back as to lean against the wall.

He pulls his hand through his dark hair, and asks, "So, may I ask what you name is?"

"You may ask."

"Well, then. What is it?"

"Violet."

"I'm Jayden. Wait, Violet?" His green eyes flash with a glimmer of recognition.

"Yes, Violet. It's a name."

"Violet Thomas?"

"Who knows?"

"You. And by that, I am guessing you are. You're already 17, though? I thought the Alpha's kid was still a pup!" He exclaims.

"Yeah. I was yesterday."

For a second, he seems confused, then his face expresses a look of realisation, "Oh! Well, Happy Birthday."

"I thought it would have said something like that on the invites."

"Nah. All it said was 'Blood Moon Disco'" He replies. So it really must have been a hidden motive.

"Okay."

"Although, most of my friends came along hoping to find their mate." He responds.

"Ah." Then I realise something, "But not you?"

"Nope. I don't particularly care about all that. It'll happen when it happens. Plus, as long as I don't have my mate, it won't hurt to have some fun."

"Okay." I don't agree with him on the 'have some fun' bit, but with the rest, I do.

"I'm guessing that you haven't found yours yet."

"No. And I sure am glad."

"Who knows, maybe he's in this room with you."