Chapter 31

"We're coming." The Queen immediately responds, and Alex doesn't argue. It makes me wonder what he saw that was bad enough that he let us come.

He anxiously glances around as if he believes that he could be attacked at any moment. Likely because he could. Then, he bites into his wrist, and I find it strange to be witnessing the action after so long.

Several of the witches flinch as his teeth go into the vein. It isn't painful, and they know that, but I guess it could look gruesome. But you get used to it, it's just like how you get used to a culture.

The Queen looks around and speaks, "We should head off, ladies. We're wasting time by staying here, and as much as you may dislike wolves, you probably don't want to lose the gems to the Rogues of our kind."

She quietly murmurs to me as I walk over, "Can I speak to you, Violet?"

"Of course," I immediately respond.

She touches my arm as to mind-link privately, Violet, I want you to join the boy. She gestures to Alex as he runs off, We need someone to keep an eye on him and what is going on. I'm also uncertain of his ability to make capable decisions, and so I want you to respond to what you can. Just remember that the Rogues can hear you as easily as I can.

"Yes," I reply and bring my hand up to my mouth.

I don't hesitate. I plunge my teeth into my wrist. "Far out!"

I grab my wrist as it stings.

"Are you alright, Violet? Can you not transform?"

I look down at my bleeding wrist, "No, that's not it. I managed to miss the vein. I've never gone this long without doing it."

"Then just try again."

I attempt it once more and don't feel anything but a slight prick this time, as I bite into the vein, and transform.

The bleeding stops, the particles likely filling it, realising something should be there as they are forced closer together.

As I hear the judgemental mumblings from a few of my own kind, I leave their words behind me as I run forward to catch up to Alex.

Alex.

Vi.

I told you not to call me that.

Then what should I call you?

My name, Violet.

I missed you so much. I couldn't understand how you could be one of them. And yet, I began to learn that it didn't change who you are. I'd still accept you.

I don't respond. The silence between the pack-link is unbearable, and I bring myself to ask the hard question. But I need to know the answer.

What happened?

It was horrible. I can't describe it.

Can you show me?

How do I do that?

Never mind. I respond. I had forgotten the limitations of pack-link. At least it is more private.

Wait. I wasn't banished? I ask Alex, responding to him.

I guess not. I wasn't paying attention to that. But without you, there would be no heir.

Another thing I had forgotten about. I don't know if I would go back if they accepted me, changed their ways. The pros and cons are too conflicting.

Alex. Detransform. I ask of him. Surprisingly, he does.

I follow suit and reach out a hand, and he looks at me confused.

"You asked me to detransform just to hold hands?"

"No. Just take it."

He hesitantly touches his hand to my own.

Alex.

Vi-Violet? What's happening? I'm in human form? His mouth gapes open in shock as he looks at me. His thoughts aren't staticky like mine apparently once were, but that may be because we are connecting via touch, rather over space.

We can speak like this whilst touching, although you aren't a witch.

Why did you make me do this? I can feel his discomfort over the idea of magic, although he doesn't mention it.

I need you to show me what they sent you.

They took a wolf and forced an image through pack-link, didn't they? I come to the only possible answer as I remember how freaked out he looked.

It was horrific.

I don't care. I need to see.

Don't say I didn't warn you. If Alex had to have one-character strength, it would be his practicality.

As he finishes his statement, he shows me the image, slightly distorted, making his inexperience obvious to me, but it is enough to see what has happened.

Blood.

So much blood.

The remains lie on the ground in piles of mess, corpses of human form and wolves alike line the ground.

The fight is continuing, magic being a major contender. I can make out my father, still fighting in this gruesome fight.

But then I notice what had freaked him out the most.

I see the wolf's body sprawled across the ground, and he looks to be in peace. No blood, no guts. He isn't torn. There is only one way he could have died, and it isn't by another wolf. No, it is through magic.

Alex's father.

The man had hated me, and yet seeing him meet his end like this is extremely depressing, as although we didn't get along, even I can admit he was an honourable man.

And this wasn't a fair battle.

Suddenly, I hear a familiar sound. Claws walking through the dry earth. I let go of Alex's arm just in time to see the wolf launch himself at us.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my amazing readers!

Did you feel sad about Beta's death? Or did you not care?

What about Alex, do you feel any sympathy for him, or did he get what he deserved? Do you believe he deserves redemption?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading, and I dearly hope that you'll consider leaving a vote or a comment.

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk