Chapter 28

My legs swing, not quite reaching the ground as I sit around the tall bench in the library. I remember once that Mikaela told me that this was the Council Table, but I hadn't really been listening. All I remember was that it meant that it was off limits.

The library is such a central place, here. It makes sense as so many of these books can teach you so much about magic. It's the passing down of discoveries and techniques, and so a witch's life work doesn't ever go to waste.

It's funny, as back at the pack we only owned a few stories each. I was never an avid reader, no, that position always went to Alex.

Alex.

A pang of guilt hits me as I realise that I hadn't thought of him at all whilst being here. Although, I doubt he has thought of me, either. We grew up so close, but I now wonder whether that was just because of the circumstances. We didn't have much in common, and we did argue a lot. But he was the only kid around.

We continue to sit around in silence, as we wait for the few still empty seats to be filled.

Wait. I call out to the queen using mind-link. Why don't you just broadcast the meeting to Mikaela?

Broadcasting is showing what is happening to you over mind-link, it is very similar to the human thing of 'live-streaming' except your eyes are the camera, and the person's screen is their own head.

It'd excite her too much. The Queen smiles at me across the table.

"It's also a danger." She speaks aloud, "Anyone could listen in."

"Does that matter?" I ask.

"Yes. Surely you realise that our politics aren't perfect, not all witches are on our side."

"But you're the queen?"

She laughs, "One day, Violet, I'll tell you about my election. Just let me tell you, I'm one of the most controversial rulers to exist in our history."

Her comment confuses me, but I choose not to question it. But why would anyone hate her? She's a just, fair ruler.

Then again, the wolves wouldn't like that, so maybe some witches are like them.

A few more people enter the library, and the Queen glances at the doors as they shut. The women all sit down in the stools and the Queen speaks up once again.

"Now, we can finally get started." From anyone else, those words would sound snide, but from her, they sound almost kind.

"As you are all aware, the Wolven wars have been going on for several years now." She begins.

How did they all know about it and I didn't? Did the wolves really find me that untrustworthy?

"We have not gotten involved. Our kind has, but only those who don't abide by our laws, those who are rogue and are criminals. We voted as to not involve ourselves in the wolve's trivial matters, but Celestial predictions have shown horrors which we may be able to prevent."

"If we do not get involved, the most powerful pack this side of the country will fall." Does she mean? "Without our magicks backing them, Nightingale pack will fall to these rogues."

Muttering begins, and the Queen hushes them, "I know that we usually do not get involved, yet, it will be bad if this happens. Many of the weaker Nightingale member's could be converted, and they also have three bloodstones. The wolves will not know what those are, but the witches will."

"If they get their hands on those large numbers, and use the bloodstones, civilisation could end through the binding of those stones. They grant three of the strongest magicks, Spirit, Celestial and Forest."

The women around the table glance at me and the Queen and undoubtingly think of Mikaela. "Yes, we do have witches with those affinities. But these stones once bound correctly grant them in unseen ways."

"First, we have Spirit. The magick in which I hold. Spirt has many powers, such as the power to have more influence or to come across as more likeable. To push people's strong emotions, stronger. To even confuse them. But, with the gemstone in their Alpha ring, it can control people. Anyone, everyone in complete masses to do anything, even the unspeakable."

"Next, we have Celestial. We have two holders of this affinity, but one can see the stars whilst the other has predictions. Her predictions are uncertain, usually true, but only the consequences of certain actions. Nothing that you couldn't see with a super-computer. The Beta bracelet's gem holds the power to force these consequences to come true."

"Finally, we have Forest. We have seen several holders of this magick, although we have only had one strong healer." The group's eyes all turn to me, "This magic can heal wounds that would have killed a patient. However, with the Luna Locket, the stone can resurrect the dead."

"With this, the Criminal witches could kill in masses, introduce plague, then resurrect the dead and control armies of the undead." The Queen looks to us all, "None of you may tell this to your children, or anyone, and the only people this information gets passed to is my successor. However, I feel it was necessary for you to vote correctly."

"So I ask once more, please raise your arm if you believe that we should join our cursed brothers in this war?"

A quick glance around the room shows a unanimous answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my amazing readers!

Any of you remember what happened to a certain locket earlier? Mikaela didn't see that, did she? Will the Rogues beat Nightingale, even with the witches on their side?

Anyway, I dearly hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did, please consider leaving a vote or a comment. I read every comment!

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk