Chapter 14

As the movie finishes, I look up to Alex and grin, "I can't believe that was your choice of movie."

"What's so bad about it? It's a good film."

"It was such a teen romance, Alex. Honestly, aren't you supposed to be manly or something?"

"It has plenty of action too, and I like it to contrast how they depict werewolves compared to the real thing." He tries to make up an excuse.

"Sure, sure. But, I've always known that you're secretly a hopeless romantic. No need to hide it from me." I begin to stand up, throwing his arm off my shoulders.

"Oh, Vi, just shut up."

"Nah, I like talking."

Alex opens his mouth, about to reply when Melissa walks past the door holding a basket of clothing, "Alex, I didn't even see you this morning! How'd you sleep, dear?"

"Fine, Mum," Alex replies.

"How about you, Violet?"

"Alright," I say, recalling the strange dream I'd had.

"Oh, and Alex, I forgot to ask, who was that girl who dropped in? Whilst you were sick? I didn't get to talk to her. I was busy helping your dad with preparation for the ceremony."

"Who?" He asks, "You mean Violet?"

"No, the blonde-haired one. With the green eyes." She replies.

"Oh, her. She's just a friend mum, from town."

"Okay, well, it's good that you're making a few friends." Melissa smiles, "Well, I have to go sort out the laundry. Hope you kids have fun."

"So, who was she?" I question as Melissa walks away.

"Who?" Alex asks once again, as stupid as always.

"The girl?"

"Oh, just a friend."

"I already heard that but who?"

"Are you jealous?" He laughs, "You are, aren't you?"

"I am not! But when do you even meet people who I don't know."

He hesitates, tensing up but soon relaxes, "At the book club."

"Ah, so she was one of your nerd friends."

 "I am not a nerd. Anyway, now that the movie is over, I really do need to at least do some math work." He says, and then turns on those blasted puppy dog eyes, "Speaking of which, can you help me?"

I sigh, "Fine."

I follow him upstairs to his room, and sit down on his bed next to him, as he does his math work on his lap. After he asks me for help with every single question, 23 questions straight, I ask, "How do you find this so hard?"

"How do you find spelling so hard?"

"Touché."

We complete a few more questions, and then Alex's phone begins to ring, he picks it up, and walks across the room. The volume is so low that I can't understand what the other person is saying. But I can hear Alex, loud and clear.

There are no greetings as Alex nods to whatever the person is saying, and then replies, "Do you really think she is ready?" What on Earth is he saying?

A few more words are spoken on the other end, and then Alex says, "I guess so, but what if we are assuming things wrong?"

He listens for a minute, "I know, she definitely seems to be on our side, but I could be wrong. She could be too loyal to them, after all." Okay, they seem to be up to something.