Chapter 22

"You can't tell anyone of what just happened. No one."

For once, I don't argue, my face pale with fear on this warm evening. I nod to his statement.

"Why do we hate witches?" I ask, as although I heard the horror stories during childhood, I never believed that they had any fact to them. 

"It's unnatural." Alex shudders, "Magic is just wrong."

"Isn't transforming into a wolf, including your clothing pretty magic?"

"No. It's science, all that happens is the rearrangement of particles."

I don't answer him, as although I don't agree, I don't really see the point of arguing. 

"If they can do stuff like see the future, why haven't they just taken us out by now. Because you seemed to believe the feeling of hate was mutual."

He scowls, obviously recalling the girl who we met earlier. His normally handsome face is distorted as his facial features express his hatred. "They aren't as organised as us. And, their numbers have always been low."

"Why?"

"Well, according to our sources, you need two parents with their... power, to be able to do it, unlike us, where only one wolven gene is needed." He smirks then adds, "Our goddess also knows how to pair us off."

The mate bond only creates what could be seen as almost a crush, and I still feel discomfort when Alex mentions this sort of thing like it's the only way to ever have a relationship.

Is love even real?

"Shouldn't we head home?" I ask.

He looks at me, anxiously, "Yes. I can still smell her. This whole place reeks of magic."

I can smell something different, but it isn't bad. It smells cool, like morning dew on the early springtime grass. It isn't dissimilar to the smell of my own kind, which smells more ashen, but still smell like the wet bark of a tree. 

We head home in silence, the two of us contemplating what will next happen. When we reach home, Alex takes out a key that to the house. I don't even have a key. Shows what father thinks of me.

We creep upstairs, neither of us bidding the other goodnight. I head to bed, and as always, immediately fall asleep.

The only thing that surrounds me is clouds. Or is it mist? I feel uncertainty as I look at my surroundings, my view clouded by the translucent substance.

I begin to walk forward, although, who knows what is forward here. I walk for some time, and soon I hear my footstep in a puddle. However, I can't feel anything underneath my foot.

I bend down, and the mist clears. Blood. I stand up straight, recoiling from the gruesome sight in front of me. Although, why is it so? It is a natural thing, and on its own, it doesn't mean anything.

Glancing around myself once more, I look and see that the land is covered in this red liquid. Is it blood? Could there really be this much of it?

I look down and see all my friends, my pack. Alex grins at me. The male waitress at the Café. Cassidy. My mother. So many people flash past, and I could say that it's everyone I've ever met.

No, that's wrong, it isn't all the people. I suddenly realise. All the wolves I've ever met.

As soon as that thought passes through my mind, I see the first piece of what could be a solid piece of structure could be. A bathtub. Strange, but this whole reality seems to be peculiar. I walk over to it, and it's filled with the same red substance.