Chapter 33

A countless number of corpses line the clearing. The grass floor is stained red by the blood of both sides. Almost all of the bodies are wolves, but around a dozen or so are humans. Whether they are werewolves or witches, I cannot tell.

It pains me as I see many recognisable faces amongst the dead. Beta. Jasmine. Cassidy. So many of my own have fallen and looking around, I can see that the majority of the dead are from my pack.

The numbers are equal, a bit to Nightingale's side as we have come to join them. Most of the fight is duals between wolves, with a little assistance for the enemy from their own witches.

It is obvious who is losing because although Nightingale had many more people, the difference has lessened greatly, and so if we had not come, Mikaela's vision would have come to life, the painting that still lies on her easel back home.

We go and join, many women turning straight to the wolves, and soon the fights become more equal as witches dual witches, a fight of magic. However, my eyes immediately turn to one fight, a fight between my father and several other wolves.

Three grey wolves surround him, baring their teeth as they know that they've won. He's already injured, limping as his left paw is pouring with blood. Through his actions you can see that he's already lost a lot of blood, his eyes seem slightly dazed.

I forget my shield, as I am not talented nor experienced enough to use magic for two purposes at the same time. I begin to use force magick to try and do what I have seen the Queen, and the opposing witches do before.

I loop the particles around the wolves' feet and try to hold them still. It takes a constant stream of magic to keep them there, as the particles have to reform everytime they try to push through them.

My father sees this as his chance. He fights against the wolves, cleanly ripping into two of their necks, as they can't get away. The neck is the perfect place to kill a wolf, as tearing it out renders them useless, since the neck is how you force a wolf to transform, they lose the capability to turn, and so, they die. 

However, he doesn't manage to get the last one before it manages to get through the bonds I create. The way he tears through them is a fight of strength, and I can't manage to stop him.

I try to do the same thing, but the wolf realises and keeps moving, consistently jumping around, never still, not even for a second. I can't do anything, dammit!

As the wolf keeps hopping around, it and my father begin to circle each other. The wolf loses patience and launches itself at my father, mouth open, aiming for his neck. He only steps out of the way just in time, his reactions already slow by his consistently bleeding neck.

I finally realise that I can do something. I remember the circular band that Mikaela's cat wore around its neck, a collar, they called it. I could force one of those around the wolf, and hold it still.

I try it, the particles going together, and rein the wolf in. It holds it mostly still, the wolf still trying to get away. He flings himself around before realising that it's useless. My father lets out a low growl and then pounces, ready for the kill.

Then, the wolf does something that I never even thought of. He transforms. And He is actually a She.

She tries to run, her long blonde hair streaming behind her, as my father lands on the ground, hitting only air. I let go of the collar, as to make sure it doesn't get in his way.

He chases her, and she tries to bite into her wrist, but it's too late. He lands on her, and his weight is enough to end her. The light slowly leaves her eyes as the pressure of the giant wolf is too much for her fragile human body.

I let out a sigh of relief since finally, that fight is over. The war isn't, though, and I should go join everyone else as to continue helping, but I can spare a few moments, as who knows when it could all end.

My father glances around and turns back, and I begin to run to him, and then see something out of the corner of my eye.

It's too fast, but I still try to build up a shield. My father quickly reacts and begins to transform.

Then, everything seems to slow down.

I see father transform, and my shield is just too slow. I can't make it fast enough. I am going to die. That is until a familiar person jumps in front of me.

Alex.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my wonderful readers!

After this, we should only have two more chapters to go! (Well, and the epilogue) It's so exciting!

Also, what do you guys think of the book about Mikaela being in third-person, past tense? I feel like it would work better, but I want to know if anyone would still read it.

However, Alex, what do you think is going to happen to him?

Anyway, thank you so much for reading! I hope that you'll consider leaving a vote and/or a comment.

Hope to see you all in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk