Chapter 27

I watch it from afar, it's bright green eyes glare at me, and I stare back. Its sleek black fur shines in the dusk light, and as it lets out its small 'meow', I shudder at the pitch of the noise.

Why Mikaela ever decided to get a cat, I will never understand.

I hadn't ever seen a cat in real life before that one. I was lucky that in my first few weeks here, it spent most of its time lurking in Mikaela's room, and so I didn't ever really see it, and that was nice, as it gives me bad vibes.

Maybe it can sense something wrong with me as if it could smell my mixed, what some would call 'tainted', blood. The curse that is on wolven kind still affects me in some way, as I can transform, yet I still have access to my magic. It contradicts the curse, not that I'm complaining.

Mikaela's cat seems to have decided to keep her company whilst she is stuck here, in the hospitable. It's a pity that it had to arrive just after the Queen assigned me to work here, as to both train my affinity and to help out.

I haven't been able to heal a wound without scarring yet. It annoys me to no end. Every witch that came in hasn't left unblemished, and I just can't figure out how to stop it. They all say that it's fine but just seeing the mark infuriates me.

A little boy enters the hospital with bright red cheeks, which is mildly surprising until I recognise him as Ms McKelly's young son. I smile at him, and a healer looks to me.

"See if you can heal this, Violet. Do you think that your affinity will only work on wounds?"

"I don't know,"  I answer honestly.

"Well, give it a go."

I look back to the boy, "Come, take a seat."

He hops onto a bed, his bright blue eyes looking up at me as he swings his feet. He's only around four years old.

What will happen to him? From what I've seen, men don't stay here, and they certainly don't learn magic. When will he have to leave? How do they make boys leave?

"Can you give me your hand?" I ask.

I enter his body and his head is pounding. I try to go there, but entering without the wound seems near impossible. I've read that skin is a dead layer, protecting your body from unwanted magicks.

I open my eyes and hesitate, "I don't think I can do anything."

"That's okay." The nurse nods to me, and she gives the boy a packet of tablets, "You can leave now."

He skips out of the room, and I watch as the door shut behind him.

Mikaela looks to me, "You can do something... I've seen it."

I look at her in confusion, and suddenly realise what she meant. Her predictions. She doesn't mention them often and I know little about it as she has never mentioned to me how they work.

"Could you have?" The nurse questions.

"I-I think so." They both turn to me with accusatory glares until I continue, "But I think I need to break the skin barrier as to do so. And I don't think a little boy would like me attacking him with a knife."

They both nod in understanding and Mikaela says, "Well, he just seemed to have a bad cold, nothing that some medication and rest can't fix. Let me tell you, the medication here is much better than that of human's, though."

"Well, magic can help us make some of them." The nurse replies, and I turn to her in interest.

"Really? How does it do it?"

"That's a long process which I'm sure you'll help with one day. I'm sure you could too, Mikaela, your mother was a pharmacist." The nurse looks pointedly at Mikaela.

"Just because my mum did something doesn't mean I know about it! Humans aren't like witches!"

I spend a few seconds processing what she just said, "Wait, Mikaela, your parents aren't witches?"

She laughs, "Well, my dad had the blood, although most of the time kids like me were ignored. My power came about on its own so they couldn't really ignore me!"

"Is that even possible?"

"Apparently. I was the first they knew of, though."

"There were rumours", the nurse speaks up, "But no one really believed them."

Mikaela grins, "I guess you and me are a bit alike in that way, Violet. Neither of us born from witches and we both aren't supposed to exist!"

The nurse looks uncomfortable at that statement, but I join in with Mikaela's laughter.

Suddenly, the Queen walks into the room.

"It is time to plan for another fight, one that we know, thanks to you," She looks to Mikaela, "Will happen within the next few days. Violet, come with me."

Mikaela goes to stand up but the Queen gestures to her, "If you want to be able to come at all, you need to rest."

"Fine." Mikaela sulks as I stand up and hurriedly follow the Queen to learn of what I can finally do to help with something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my magical readers!

Soooo, only a few more chapters to go, I believe. Probably around 5? It's very exciting for me, as I've never finished a novel before!!!!

Anyway, I dearly hope you enjoyed this chapter, and if you did please consider voting or leaving a comment.

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk