Chapter 9

I freeze up, not completely certain of what I felt. That could have just been a zap from the friction from my running across the carpet? And, since no one told me what it was like, he hasn't attacked me and been like 'MATE', so it should be fine, right?

"Huh, that's interesting." Alex comments after a few seconds of silence.

"That's all you have to say?" I suddenly feel even more uncertainty over what I had felt, "Sorry, the carpet must have been extra electrocuted today..."

"No, Vi. I know what that meant, and so do you." He grins, "Unless you actually are stupid."

"I am not! Anyway..." I trail off, uncertain over what to say next. Then, I blurt out, "Why aren't you shocked? Or at least slightly surprised?"

"Well, it isn't much of a different feeling for me."

"Huh?"

"Although we're part wolf, we are just human after all. I like you, Violet. I have for a long, long time."

"Oh..." I look down, surprised by his sudden confession.

"You didn't know?" He laughs, "Everyone told me that it was obvious. Jasmine, Mum, Dad..."

"Well, I didn't think it was."

He snickers, "You're always so oblivious, Vi. Anyway, I personally am glad."

"What?"

"Y'know, it would have been kind of sad to see my crush go off with another boy.  Although, I guess I would have been after I found my own mate... But hey, I guess I was lucky."

I stay silent, unsure of what to think of this situation. On one side, it's Alex, my best friend, but on the other side, it's Alex, someone that had been put off limits a long time ago.

It'll be really hard to explain this to Cassidy.

Cassidy is my annoying, 16-year-old cousin, who I don't see much anymore, as since she moved into town with some other relative, she doesn't feel the need to come and visit us as much. However, she still badgers us a lot, especially in the way of calling Alex's phone, as ever since she was around 8, she's been enamoured by Alex.

Every time we meet up, it's all Alex this, Alex that. It's a non-stop waterfall of fawning over Alex like he's a godsend. Which, in some ways, I guess he is, but still, she barely knows him.

"You don't seem to be happy about this", Alex states, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I look out the window, "Yeah, that's true."

"Why?"

"Alex, you know how I feel about mates!" I exclaim, "And on my 17th birthday, even. I was hoping I wouldn't find him for a couple of years."

"Surely being my mate isn't that bad..."

"I mean, I don't want to be anyone's mate."

Alex tactfully tries to change the subject, "So, umm, you dropped your present."

"Oh, right." I reach down and pick the box up off the floor, "What's in it?"

"Vi. You're supposed to open the present to see what's inside it."

"Oh, right."  I begin to rip carelessly into the paper.

As soon as I get a glance of what I can see inside, I feel disappointment.

"Oh, a book," I comment.

Alex grins, "Not just any book, Vi, I'm pretty sure you'll like this one."