Chapter 32

I didn't expect anything to attack us this early.

In fact, looking back on the moments before this, I don't know if I quite believed in the reality of it all. I think that I only started believing that it was real once I saw what Alex showed me.

Alex reacts faster than I. Before the wolf manages to tear its teeth into our necks, he transforms, and jumps in front of me, letting out a low growl as the grey-furred creature lands directly on top of him.

The smaller wolf seems more agile than Alex, but luckily, Alex seems to have more technique, and likely more strength. Alex shakes him off and gets to his feet, turning around as the other wolf bares his teeth.

I stand there in shock as I watch the two of them bite at each other. It's a push and pull fight, neither of them getting in much damage. I can't move, I feel frozen. Sure, I've seen fights before, but they were mock fights, and everyone knew that it would end in a winner pinning the other.

But there is one difference between those and today's fight: A loss in this fight means a loss of your life. 

Suddenly, the grey wolf begins to slow down. It's like his feet are tied together. I can see him shake against his invisible bonds, but a second is all that Alex needs.

Alex gets a grip on the wolf, his paws holding him down, as he bites into its neck. A whopping hole of blood streams out of it, and the wolf collapses.

It definitely isn't getting up any time soon.

Alex turns back and looks at me. His face shows a worried look as he sees my horrified expression, "Are you okay?" He asks.

I shake my head as I try to get a grip on reality, "Am I okay? Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

I walk over to the wolf, and I can't enter its body. It's gone. And it likely won't be going to a better place.

I step over to Alex and enter his own body.

Every muscle in his body aches, his heart pounding with adrenaline. His skin is battered and bruised, and although no injury has shown up yet, he'll be black and blue by morning.

I start to send magic to his body, trying to smooth the clots in his blood that lead to the bruising, repairing the stress in his muscles. A few moments later, he tears away, realising what I was doing.

"Don't." He says, looking almost afraid at the magic.

"But you were fine with mind-link" I argue.

"It wasn't inside of me, then." He shudders. I beg to differ, but decide to keep my mouth shut.

The Queen walks up to us, and I realise that she had only stood a few feet behind the entire time. I remember how the wolf had frozen, in invisible shackles. That could have been an incredible work of force magic.

I look at her, "Did you stop the wolf?" I ask as Alex cocks his head to the side in confusion.

"Yes. Although it was strong and would have broken it a few seconds later."

Alex's face suddenly lights up in realisation, "Wait, you helped me? But why?"

"It doesn't matter who you are. What matters is how you act. And you were helping Violet, who is one of us." She shares an opinion that differs greatly from the pack.

She flips over a blue stone in her hand, and I wonder why she was using it. Lapis is a stone that human's say increases psychic ability, helps with emotional trauma and works for an energy focuser. It's utter nonsense, but it does apparently help with some types of magick. Maybe it helped her with force.

I don't have a piece as I'm only just learning, and the stone, along with other elements helps witches to increase their magical ability, and I don't have enough control yet to be able to hold any more than my natural ability.

The Queen raises her voice, "I'm glad there was just one of them. It just was a warning that we need to be on guard."

The women in the distance all nod and walk to catch up with us. As soon as we form a close group, we begin to walk.

I can sense everyone's shield, and I do the same. A shield is another form of force magick, but is a large dome of dense particles as to stop objects and force from getting through. As an afterthought, I pass my shield over Alex who stands next to me.

"Stay close." I murmur to him.

Surprisingly, he doesn't question it and we continue on, him hot on my heel.

We soon begin to see blood lining the path, and I tense up as we walk, my limbs feeling stiff as I know that each movement I make could lead to my last.

When we reach the field, no one but I look shocked as they see it. Several look relieved. I soon remember the painting Mikaela had been making back at home. The fight that was observed in that was a thousand times more horrific, the awoken corpses rising, a trail of rot behind them.

That would have happened if we didn't come. It still may.

As we finally get a view of the field, I can only describe it as Hell on Earth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, my incredible readers!

So, Alex was finally (mildly) helpful. Good on him, it was certainly time for him to do anything. 

Anyway, thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please consider leaving a comment or a vote.

Hope to see you in the next chapter!

~EarlyDusk