Chapter 16

"What on earth do you mean?" I question, still tied up against the bed, the blanket draped over my small frame, "The goddess is on our side? Do you really think she'd go against the traditions that she created?"

"It's the only logical answer." Sam answers. "She would have already intervened if she didn't. Obviously, she must agree to some point as she took Alex on as Beta."

"Either that, she made a mistake." Alex voices my thoughts. "Or you will die before we mate." I shiver as he voices those last words, so emotionless. I hate the idea of mating.

"I doubt it", Sam laughs, "And we'll deal with that if it comes to it. Come on, I can hear the others arriving. We may as well go out and greet them."

Alex walks over and unties my arms from the bed. As soon as my hands are free, I bring my arm up and give him a heavy slap across the cheek. His tan skin immediately turns to red, and Alex brings his hand up to his face.

"What was that for?"

"Kidnapping me, keeping me hostage and being part of this... Rebel group behind my back!" I stand up and begin to follow Sam out of the bedroom.

"I don't have to tell you everything!" Alex calls from behind me. And, he's right, he doesn't. But it'd be nice if I could trust that my best friend wasn't keeping secrets from me.

The room has about 8 people in it, and although I can't say the room would fit more, I feel a heavy disappointment looking around. Do they really expect to be able to do anything with this little amount of people? 

"Is this everyone?" I ask quietly as I walk into the room, and awkwardly stand around.

"No. We have a few more." Sam's face is blank and shows no sign of what 'a few' would mean. "Anyway, please sit down." She gestures to a seat, and I carefully sit down on the wooden, old-seeming chair.

"How many are present?" Sam asks a brown-haired girl, who is cowering behind a large notepad.

"E-eleven out of fi-fifteen, Ma'am." The girl replies, looking over her notepad.

Ma'am, so is Sam of a higher rank than this girl? Although we address by ranking, so 'Ma'am' still isn't right. Sam could be a Gamma, as she does seem to have the command that a warrior would need. So does that mean that Alex has to be addressed as Beta here? And where do I come in in their rankings?

"Thank you," Sam replies to the girl and then glances over the table. "Anything to report?"

A chorus of "No, Ma'am"s comes from around the table, including Alex.

"Why do you call her 'Ma'am'?" I ask him. "You outrank her. With that, I would also like to know, Who on earth are you, 'Sam'?"

"That's simple. I am the director of this... Operation. Although I guess to you I am Sam McRose, daughter of Gamma warrior Hamish McRose."

"Now, can I know why he calls you Ma'am?"

"Because I'm the Director."

"He still outranks you."

"Not here." She gives me a sickly sweet smile, "You're new, don't expect to understand our... ways straight away."

I glare at her, as she finally sits down across the table from me. "So do I have to call you 'Ma'am'?"

"Yes."

"Why don't you just take the position as bloody Alpha then."

I seem to have hit a sore spot, and she frowns, "I can't. It isn't in my blood. However, I can always be an advisor in the future to the next Alpha. Who we hope to be you."