C H A P T E R 4

Birthday

"Live every day like it's your last."

Running through the woods was when Alessandra felt the most peaceful. The wind brushing against her thick silver coat and the moonlight shining against her wolf was one of the most jubilant things she has experienced. Though this time when she was running, it wasn't for peace, it was for victory. She pushed her wolf to go faster than the white wolf in front of her.

The adrenaline that was pumping through her veins reminded her why she did this. When she was competing and running against someone, she felt free. There wasn't the constant strain of being the beta's daughter or the sister of the future Luna. It was all about her and herself alone. Her mouth was practically salivating when she saw how close the finish line was. With one last push, she propelled her wolf forward which placed her in front of her competitor.

Almost there.

When her paws crossed over the finish line, she felt it. The sweet taste it victory. Sadly it didn't last long because she soon began to miss the feeling of the adrenaline in her blood, the wind against her fur, and the moonlight providing her with the extra dose of strength she needed.

Her birthday was approaching and she knew sooner or later she would have to face the music.

"Alessandra Romano of beta-blood is the victor of this season's wolf race! She successfully defeated 3-year champion Kacy Falls of alpha-blood from the Silver Crest Pack. Please give a round of applause for the lady of the night!"

As the announcer's voice disappeared from the speakers, loud cheers broke out from the Blood Moon pack members as the Silver Crest members held their heads low.

Antonio Romano looked at his daughter with pride. He knew she would be a strong woman when she was sent home for punching Zane in the face in the third grade. Like the great father he was, he took her out to get ice cream after. No male makes fun of his daughter, alpha or not.

Alessandra finally managed to escape from the throng of people shouting her name with pride. The next race was about to begin between a wolf from Gold Creek and a wolf from Midnight. She didn't need to be trampled by competitive wolves. Though it's not like it would be much of a competition since everyone knew Midnight would win. They always did.

Alessandra always looked forward to the seasonal races between the packs of North America. It was a good way to ease the tension between the packs and definitely better than the "Friday Night Knockouts" that occurred for a brief period of time. Long story short, having werewolves fight each other was not a good idea.

Zane spotted Alessia from his seat where he was watching the race. He hated her even more than he did before. They never got along, but now that her fraternal twin had cheated on him he couldn't help but associate the two together. Thus the hatred he had for the green-eyed Romano only amplified the hate he had for the brown-eyed one. Even though they were twin sisters, without their last names he would never have guessed them to be related. Their personalities were way too different as well as their looks. Despite all of that, he was certain of one thing, he hated her as much as he hated her sister, if not more. If she could have just not looked incredibly sexy that night he wouldn't have been tempted to dance with her.

Do you hear yourself Zane? You could have controlled yourself if you really wanted to, all of those other males did.

Whatever. He thought as he turned away from the female that awakened his anger and his nether region with a simple look.