C H A P T E R 62

Defy The Odds

"If I were the moon, I'd want you to be my sky." -Alexandra Vasiliu

Italy 1469

Rosanna stood by her bedroom window that overlooked the courtyard. The flowers in the garden were blooming and she could see some of the pack children picking them and making bouquets for their mothers. The older ones had even mastered making flower crowns for their moms. It made her smile. One day her kids would do that for her. Actually, she was pretty great at making flower crowns. Perhaps she could teach them how to make them.

"Do you think we could make a swing for our pup out there?" Rosanna asked Lorenzo, her hands falling to her belly.

"Of course, we can amore, only the best for my son and my mate."

"And how do you know it's a boy?"

"I have a feeling. Later, we'll have a girl."

"Will we now?"

"Oh, of course. She'll look like you but act like me."

"Goddess help us all then."

Lorenzo laughed.

ALESSANDRA ROMANO

ALESSANDRA ROMANO

I told them not to move his body. I guess a hopeful part of me wishes that the goddess will see Zane's corpse on the floor of her temple, take pity on me, and send him back to me. It's been a week and she has not come through. Salvaza made the trip down from Italy and was able to use some oracle magic to preserve his body while I try to get myself together.

A part of me wanted to rip Salvaza's throat out the same way I did to her sister but it was obvious she was not involved. In fact, she has been trying her best to search for a solution. It was not her fault that they resembled each other so much. Though, Zane had turned Donata into the equivalent of shreds so I'm not sure I can say they "resemble" each other. 

I'm aware that this isn't how a luna should act. She should be out comforting her pack or working on a plan to get everyone through this but I cannot. This isn't my pack it is our pack. He's supposed to be here with me. We were supposed to do it all together.

"Time to get up, sunshine," Isabel calls out before opening my bedroom door. The light filters in from the corridor and causes me to squint.

"Go away."

Ignoring me, Isabel opens the curtains that are covering the balcony windows. A stream of sunlight hits me square in the eyes causing me to squint and pull my blanket over my head in order to shield myself.

"Alessandra, this is not what he wanted for you."

I peak over the blanket, ready to tell my sister to get lost when my eyes catch something. Our coffee cups rest on the table out on the balcony. His chair is arm-to-arm with mine. Since it was a particularly cold morning, we were both snuggling with one of my knitted blankets around our shoulders. I remember telling him that his shoulders were too broad and he was hogging the blanket with which he retorted how I should have made the blanket bigger to accommodate the two of us.