C H A P T E R 50

I Know Everything About You

"Some people have hobbies, art, music, playing sport. Mine is learning you." -Dante Salvatore (When Villains Rise)

ZANE DE LUCA

I don't think I've had a day off in the past two years. So laying around all day, waiting for the time to tick so Alessandra can walk through the front door is the worst kind of torture.

I've already cleaned the entire house. I even made a ton of food so she has something to eat once she's home. So now all that's left to do is wait.

Mate. Mate. Where is my mate?

You sound like a puppy with separation anxiety.

Those are the perfect words to describe you.

I wonder if everyone has such a smart-ass wolf.

I lean back against the couch and try to relax. The plush couch does nothing to ease my impatience so I begin to fiddle with my rings.

The onyx one was a gift from Hiro. The silver one was made from one of my mother's necklaces. It's a soothing motion. Each rotation helps my mind focus on something that is not the absence of my mate or the lack of productivity from today that is weighing me down.

Click.

Finally! Alessandra steps into the room looking hot as hell in her office wear. I'm tempted to take her right there against the wall but the look in her eyes gives away her inner turmoil.

Her hair is pulled back in a low messy bun. Even though she looks like she is ready to conquer the world, I can see the worry in her eyes and the tired set of her shoulders. Immediately, I'm on high alert. Did someone from the pack disrespect her? I push the thought away instantly because the only emotion Alessandra shows when she is challenged is anger. She can handle herself just fine.

Slowly, I lift myself from the couch and walk over to her. Her index finger hooks into her heel and slips it off. She repeats the motion on her other foot.

I wrap my arms around her waist and pull her into me.

"What's wrong, little wolf?"

Her hands push against my chest and she slips away from my grasp.

I watch as she walks into the kitchen and grabs a water bottle from the fridge. She doesn't twist the cap off and take a long drink, instead, she holds it in her hand like a safety net.

"Alessandra?"

She continues to stare at the water bottle like it holds all the answers in the world. I try not to get annoyed but I can't help it. She won't even look at me.

"Alessandra De Luca-"

"Don't call me that!"

I freeze. Her voice is shrill. I can feel her anger but the strongest feeling I'm sensing from her right now is confusion.

"You are my mate," I tell her.

"So you think you own me?"

I'm so thrown off by her mood that I can't even think of what to say. I thought everything was perfect between us this morning.

Is this about her blanket? I told Ricardo it looked nice, what more could I say?

"You're mine and I'm yours, Alessandra. It goes both ways," I finally blurt out.

Her hands leave the bottle and press against the marble countertop.

"Maybe I don't want to be yours," she states.