C H A P T E R 24

ALESSANDRA ROMANO

I stand in front of the doors of the west wing. Salvaza, Donata, and Zane are behind me waiting for me to open the door.

"Go on dear," Donata says.

I bring my hand up to the handle, ready to open the door that might unveil a truth I'm not ready for. I can feel it in my gut, whatever we are about to find is going to be monumental. I shake the dreary thought out of my head and focus. With a deep breath, I push open the door.

I enter and I am instantly hit with the exact same feeling I had when I came here before. The place seems familiar but most of all, it's so sad. There is a strong feeling of despair in the air as if the last people to reside here were grieving.

"Oh goddess," Salvaza speaks.

"What is it?" I ask her.

"Spirits. There are spirits here."

"Who are they?"

"There's no way to tell unless they wish for us to know. I'm guessing it's some alpha family."

"What nonsense! There hasn't been a alpha family here for centuries," Donata says.

"What is it you wanted to show us Alessia?" Zane asks.

"Follow me," I tell them.

They follow me into the opulent room I had discovered earlier. It's clear that this is the only place in the west wing that has not been stained with the sadness that fills the walls of every other room. This room was once full of love, a love so strong it can still be felt.

"It's a gorgeous room dear, but what does this have to do with anything?" Donata asks me.

"There," I point at the painting that is draped with a sheet. The sheet is slightly tilted but I tried my best to cover it when I was sneaking out of here.

Zane walks over to the painting. His hands grasp the sheet and he yanks it down revealing half of the painting.

"What the hell? What type of creep is keeping a painting of Alessandra in their bedroom?" Zane asks. His eyes show his anger but he clearly hasn't processed the situation.

"Zane pull the sheet all the way down," I tell him. He follows my order and takes a step back in shock.

Salvaza and Donata look at the painting in horror.

"Is that? Is that me?"

I nod.

He shakes his head and continues to walk backwards.

"I look so.."

"Menacing? Evil?" I ask.

"I was going to say old."

"The artist must have gotten it wrong," Salvaza says.

"What do you mean?" Zane asks.

"You never looked evil when you were with her." Tears glimmer in Salvaza eyes as she talks. She walks up to the painting and caresses the lady's face.

"I can't believe we didn't notice before," Dontata murmers.

"What? What are you two talking about?" Zane asks.

"That painting was a portrait painted by Leonardo Da Vinci himself," Donata says.

"I don't care about the artist! Why do they look just like us?" Zane shouts.

"This painting is of Lorenzo and Rosanna Moretti," Salvaza says.

"I know about them. They were the alpha family before the De Lucas," Zane says.