"Bas karo tum dono, bas karo. Mera ghar bikhar raha hai. (Stop you two, stop it. My home is breaking down). Divorce, heir, business...does all this even matter? Its the family which matters. Billu has been holding this family together with such difficulty. And you both are trying to ruin his efforts by instigating one brother against the other?" Dadi almost cried in exasperation. 

"But the fact is that Jethji might have build this empire, but its my Shivaay to whom this empire owes its present success. Its Shivaay whose hard work in the last 10 years has taken the company to new heights. And now Omkara will come and usurp his position in the company?" Pinky kept on arguing. 

Omkara didn't have the best relationship with his Chhoti Maa, but it was always cordial and in a weird way, they both were connected by their dislike for Mr.Oberoi. More than anything, for Chhoti Maa to even think that Omkara would succumb to his father's plans and rise against Shivaay was.....hurtful. Omkara was hurt, it felt like being stabbed in the heart. 

"Don't worry Chhoti Maa, I would never be a rival to Shivaay." said Omkara quietly in a defeated voice. "Mr. Oberoi has proposed that I become a businessman in the next 6 months. I will do that to save my mother's marriage. He also wishes me to join the family business. I will do that as well. But not as Shivaay's competitor. I will have no share in the empire, I will give my shares to my mother, who is also a shareholder in this company, to do with it as she pleases. This way I will no longer be a threat to Shivaay's position in the company." 

"Om, have you lost your mind? What are you even saying? I don't care for this company, I care for my brothers. I don't want anything." said Shivaay, in an almost pleading tone. 

"And what purpose would that serve?" questioned Pinky. "Whether the shares are yours or Jethaniji's, they are still effectively with your side of the family. I know this is hard for you, and I don't doubt your affection for Shivaay. But I am a mother, and I have to secure my son's interests, even if he himself is blind to see it. You have to more than this to convince me." 

"Maa what are you saying? Please, stop right now." Shivaay commanded.

"No, Shivaay. Let Chhoti Maa continue. She is a mother, and not just your mother, but my and Rudra's Chhoti Maa too. I will do anything that is needed to convince her that I'm not an obstacle in your path." said Omkara.

"If you are really Shivaay's brother, then you will not collaborate with Shivaay in the business, you are already handing over the shares to Jethaniji, but as long as you are under the same roof, as long as you are close to Shivaay, you will always be a rival and danger to Shivaay, trying to get business secrets from him, trying to one up him..." said Pinky shamefacedly.

Shivaay was about to protest but Omkara intervened. "No Shivaay, Chhoti Maa is right. And anyways, after the stunt Mr. Oberoi has pulled I don't think I can stay under the same roof with him, seeing his gloating face, reminding me every moment of how he almost murdered my mother." said Omkara with disgust. 

Tej looked down at the floor, finally feeling a little ashamed over what he did to Jahnvi.

"So, its done. I will join the business but separate from Shivaay, and also transfer my shares to my mother, as security, that I wouldn't compete with Shivaay. I would also leave the mansion, so that I'm no threat to Shivaay, in any way." exhaled Omkara. Sensing a protest from his father, he quickly added, "Mr. Oberoi, its a take it or leave it deal. You cannot set me up against my brother. I'm doing as you are saying. If you provoke me further, then the deal is off and I'll take my chances against your influence in court." threatened Omkara, fire raging in his eyes.

Maybe it was the realization that he had pushed his son too far already, but Tej Singh Oberoi conceded to Omkara.

"Fine. I'll draw up the contract to this effect." said Tej and withdrew from the scene. 

"Thank you, Om" said Pinky, and actually touched his head in a blessing gesture. "I hope you succeed and Jethaniji recovers soon." saying so, she too left the hall. 

"Mera parivaar bikhar gaya, mere pote alag ho rahe hai.... (my family got ruined, my grandsons are separating)" murmured Dadi, tears running down her face. 

"Your grandsons are not separating Dadi. Nothing can separate ShivOmRu. We'll come out of this stronger. You'll see." said Om mechanically, in what he hoped was a reassuring voice. 

"Dadi.." said Annika, who had not spoken since the engagement drama started, and emerged from the background to help Dadi and take her to her room.

Only the brothers were left now. 

Rudy fell to his knees, at Omkara's feet and started crying loudly. Shivaay just looked at Om, and whispered, "Yeh tune kya kiya Om, yeh tune kya kiya?" (what did you do Om, what did you do?)

Omkara just stood there looking at Shivaay, but not really seeing him. He just smiled a sad smile. For some odd reason, he felt like his soul had left his body, and he was watching the entire scenario as an outsider. Strangely, his college Ethics professor's words echoed in his ears. "According to Bentham's Utilitarian philosophy, it is the greatest happiness for the greatest number that is the measure of right and wrong"

His mother was safe, his father got what he wanted, Chhoti Maa had her wish fulfilled. Shivaay and Rudra will be in pain for sometime, but they'll get over it, and they have their own lives to live. 'Greatest number', will be benefited by his decision. Its a win-win. 

Everyone won in this deal. Everyone, except him.