"I've never heard of Emily Anderson."

"Well you know, she wrote the words." Evan said.

"But Christina Perri and Martin Bennett Johnson wrote the words for this one." Zoe said.

"Well," this was proving to be harder than Evan had expected. "Sometimes Anderson wrote the words and Perri wrote the music and sometimes Perri wrote the words and Anderson wrote the music. And then sometimes Perri or Anderson wrote the whole thing." Evan said. Zoe was silent before nodding.

"That makes sense."

Evan quietly exhaled a sigh of relief that she'd bought his lie.

"So what brings you to San Francisco?" Zoe asked.

"I'm getting shipped off tomorrow. I'm in the Marines." Evan said. He slid her a his marine ID card and she picked it up.

"Mark Evan Hansen. Date of birth, September 24th, 1993. You just turned 25?" Zoe asked.

"Yeah. And now I'm getting shipped off to Afghanistan." Evan said.

"Aren't you scared?" Zoe asked.

"There's nothing to be scared of. We're just going over for support. We won't be close to the action." Evan said. Zoe nodded. Evan looked at his watch.

"Well I better head out. I gotta get to a party." Evan stood and went to walk away before turning to Zoe.

"How would you like to come with me?"

Zoe's jaw dropped.

"A-A party? I don't know..."

"Look if you don't want to go, just say so." Evan said.

"Well it's just... I just met you." Zoe said.

"You know my birthday, and my middle name now. We agreed on all that music crap earlier too. C'mon how rare is that?" Evan said.

"Well the diner is closing soon and I have to help my mom close up." Zoe said. She stood up and walked towards the counter. Evan sighed.

"I'll bring you right home afterwards. I promise. Or we can get dinner. With candles and wine and hold hands all the way back here." Evan said, following her. Zoe sighed and her mother came out.

"It's closing time hon, you better head out." She said to Evan. Evan looked at Zoe.

"You'll miss out on one hell of a time." She shook her head.

"I'm glad we met. Still it's too bad, I thought if you came... who knows. Maybe we could've..." he looked at Zoe and turned around.

"Have a good night Zoe."

He started to walk away when Zoe called after him.

"Evan, wait. I'm gonna come with you. Just let me change." Zoe said. Evan smiled

"Okay!" He said happily.

"What kind of party is it?" Zoe asked.

"Huh?"

"Is it a dress up party?" She asked.

"Yeah sure. A dress up party." Evan said. He watched as Zoe ran out of the diner.

+++

"Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh!" Zoe said happily, digging through her closet.

"Zoe I- now what's this mess?" Her mother asked.

"Mom! The boy from the diner wants to take me to a party! Which dress, purple or burgundy?" Zoe asked.

"Zoe, slow down. You just met this boy." Cynthia said.