Chapter Nine: Teams

Start from the beginning

" I don't know... What about you? " 

Rin's smile could have lit up a whole room and brightened anyone's day. She clapped her hands together and closed her eyes before sighing happily. She seemed now to be lost in some kind of daydreaming which left Mai and Obito a little bit bemused.

Mai tensed up when she felt someone putting a hand on her shoulder from behind. However, she relaxed quickly when she felt Shizune's chakra. 

She turned around to face the black-haired girl, a small but genuine smile appearing on her face as Shizune greeted her warmly. 

" Hey! How are you this morning? " 

" I'm grand, thanks! And you? Aren't you too overexcited? "

" Well, I'm certainly less than you are. " She responded amused.

Mai felt that she could be completely herself with Shizune, her true self. She had learned to love Shizune as a sister just like she had labeled Jiraiya her father. She felt light and merry in her presence. It was the same thing with Rin but at the same time, it was different. Whether it was because she and Rin were not related, she could not tell. It was as if Shizune had some kind of invisible bond that would link them forever. And it was reassuring for Mai.

" Hey! Miss Daydreaming, stop thinking about Obito and come with us! It's time to set for class! "

Mai began blushing furiously and closed her eyes tightly. She was left speechless. Anyway, it wasn't as if it were the first time. She tried to regain her composure quickly, praying the Kamis that nobody had heard what Shizune had just said, especially not Obito. Life has no mercy for me... She thought beginning to get a bit depressed. 

But as she got a grip on herself and opened her eyes she noticed neither Obito nor Rin were beside her anymore. Only Shizune remained by her side. 

" W-where are Rin and Obito? " She couldn't help but ask. 

" They led the way. Rin wanted to take you but I told them to go ahead and that we would follow. " 

" So what are we waiting for? They will be suspicious if we lag behind you know. " Shizune added as she began walking but Mai didn't move. 

" I wasn't thinking about Obito! Stop with that already! " Mai exclaimed almost pouting. 

Shizune stopped in her tracks and turned swiftly on her heels to give a devilish smile to her dear cousin. 

" Really? Are you suuuure Mai? " Shizune cooed mockingly. 

" Okay, I was lying when I said I was thinking about kaa-san yesterday but today I wasn't thinking about him! " 

" Yeah, yeah. Whatever Mai. Come on now, I don't want to be late, and neither do you. "

Mai snorted but followed Shizune nonetheless. 

           ******************

" Alright, now that everybody is here I can finally announce the teams. "

" First team... "

" Hey look! Kakashi is here too! " Rin exclaimed overenthusiastically.

" What!? "Obito snapped.

" Where? " Mai asked though she didn't even know why she was asking.

She didn't have any interest in the guy so why should she even care?

" Over there, look! " Rin showed her not so discreetly.

Anyway, Kakashi didn't notice them at all.