°41. Trials And Guns°

Days had passed and Anne's life was rollercoaster. A trial against Bryce Walker had started and they had a new witness, his girlfriend Cloe, but that went downhill soon.
The girl backed away and said she wasn't raped. Justin and Anne were allowed to stay at the Jensen's which seemed good but that didn't go well either. Justin had left after hearing Clay's parents about him and Anne felt terrible.
He was supposed to testify in Hannah's case and he was the key to getting another shot of getting Bryce into jail but now he was gone.
Clay got worse with each day and Anne tried to help him but he wouldn't let her.

And worst of all Clay was gone all of the sudden aswell. Anne went out to look for him but to no avail.
She almost reached the street of Bryce Walker and she saw Justin. Sprinting forward while calling out his name she reach the boy.
"Justin, you're okay, thank God. What are you doing here?"
The boy turned around with a concerned look on his face and showed him Clay's text on his phone.
"I need you. What the hell does that mean?"
Anne looked up while the boy was simply shrugging.
He took her hand in his and took her with him.

Anne mouth opened in shock at the sight of Clay in front of Bryce Walker's home holding onto a gun with trembling hands.
The two teenagers sprinted forwards worried about their friend.
"Clay! Clay, what the hell are you doing?!"
He turned towards Anne with a saddened look on his face. Tears were evident in his eyes and it shattered her heart.
"Clay, just put down the gun, okay."
Justin tried to reach his hand forward but Clay took a step back while quiet sobs were coming out of his mouth.
His hands began to tremble even more and sobs became louder.

The door next to them opened and Bryce came walking out of his house with a confused expression. Clay immediately aimed the gun at him.
"Clay, just stop and think!" Anne cried out. "This is not the way."
He looked back at heart and he seemed so broken and both of them looked at eachother with tear-filled eyes. Justin tried to step forward once again and this time Clay put the gun against his own head trying to make the ghost of Hannah Baker dissappear in front of him.
"I just can't do it." his voice broke and eventually he put down the gun. Justin took the gun out of his hand and and Anne stepped forward to enfulge Clay in a comforting hug. He cried loudly into her shoulder while holding onto her tightly.

They began to walk back to Clay's car, Clay still attached to Anne while Justin was walking behind him.
Anne couldn't precisely tell what Bryce was saying but she could hear Justin's words loud and clear.
"I've got nothing to lose. That makes me the dangerous one."

The car ride was pretty silent. Anne was driving while Justin sat in the back. After some time the silence was broken by Clay.
"Why did you came for me?"
Anne turned her gaze from the road to look at him with a sad smile.
"I just needed to know you were safe."
She looked back in the rear view and Justin looked towards Clay as well.

"You said you needed me."