"Maybe. Hopefully, I won't meet him, though."

"You really are a strange girl." He comments.

"I guess so. Although, didn't you say that you felt the same?"

"Yeah, but usually girls, even the ones that do fool around, are just desperately waiting to meet 'him'." He explains, "I don't know, maybe it is worth the impatience."

"Ah, okay."

We sit there, him against the wall, me on the edge of the table, for a few minutes. Neither of us speak, but it's a comfortable silence.

"Anyway, it's nice to meet you. I got to go check that none of my friends have gotten too drunk. They brought some beer, and yeah... See you 'round."

"Bye." 

After he disappears into the crowd, I slip off the table. I walk over to the food and look over the platters, considering what to try first.

I decide on the meatballs, and lean over to take one, but jump as I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Vi? Is that you?" I hear a familiar voice question.

I turn around and grin when I see who it is, "Meg! So you're back from Europe!"

"Yep." My 23-year-old cousin grins, "You've certainly grown up since the last time I saw you!"

"It was the 18th of September, that time, too, Meg. Except it was 6 years ago, of course, I've grown up. We haven't seen each other since my twelfth birthday!"

"Maybe grown up is the wrong way to word it." She laughs at my scowl. "Anyway, where is Alex?" She sees me bite my lip and then frowns. "Did you two have a falling out?"

"No... it's just that..." I trail off, not wanting to talk about it.

"Whatever it is, I'm sure he'll be fine. He was always an annoyingly determined boy. Remember when he convinced me to let him drive my car?"

I laugh, remembering the week in which Alex would travel to Meg's house every single morning, dragging me along with him as 'I was her favourite'. 

"He's grown up a bit since then. He does see common sense, and well, he's the more sensible one out of the two of us."

"Alex, sensible?" She laughs, "I guess he did begin to mature towards the last few months that I was here."

I remember the times when Alex was the rash, insensible one. But one day, it all changed. I guess it was for the better, as the two of us were constantly causing trouble.

"Anyway, I gotta leave. Need to find my mate, you see. I've been away for 6 years, I don't want to wait for any time longer." Megan giggles and then walks off, beginning to talk to some boy.

I go to take my meatball, when another voice interrupts me, "May I have a dance with you?"

I sigh but remember that father will ask if I danced, so I answer, "I guess so."

"So, Violet, how special do you feel now that you're 17?"

"How do you know my name? And that's it my birthday?"

"I'm a son of your father's friend." He takes my hand. It's a slow song, how annoying.

"Well, looks like you can tick me off your list for potential mates." He comments.

"Why do you think that I am trying to find him?"

"Well, isn't everyone? That's why we all turned up, after all."