"Ying Yue, women don't go to school."

        What?

        Of course. The simple-minded men in this era would have definitely made that rule. It infuriated me. I subconsciously balled my fists. But I was just a young girl from another era, what could I do? I was just a mere Imperial Concubine—a very improper one, may I add.  

        "That's foolish!" I spat. A burst of energy exploded in my body as I sprang up, pacing around my room.

        "Y-Ying Yue..."

        "I'm not letting the Emperor do that! He must change the law, he must."

        "Ying Yue, please, calm down!"

        My blood boiled and my breaths began to quicken. I tightened my fist. I clearly have forgotten about the extreme sexism in ancient history. First, the Empress doesn't handle political issues and has to accept the fact that the Emperor has sex with women every night, and now women aren't even allowed to attend schools? I'd hate to live here forever. They must hold me back when I speak to the Emperor because my fist will connect with his jaw! My mind was filled with fury and I couldn't take it any longer. As my fist pulled my arm back, I thought about punching the wall.

         "Ying Yue!" Hua Er exclaimed. 

        That, by far, was the loudest I've ever heard from her. I dropped my arm and turned around. A cliché sigh of relief escaped from my lips. 

        "I'm so sorry, I—" I paused for a few seconds. "I'm unable to control my frustration and anger sometimes, it's a little hard for me. I apologize if I worried you."

         "No worries, but you must calm down when you are with others," Hua Er whispered. "Let's forget about this. You were out so late, how was your day?"

         And so, I explained everything I did to her. She listened attentively, and I was sure this would be a daily thing we would always do. As I got to the formula part, Hua Er looked like she had a light bulb over her head.

        "Make His Majesty favour you!" she blurted out, a second after I finished the story.

        "I know, but how? There are probably thousands of concubines that can satisfy him, what do I have to do to get his attention? Legally." 

        "Being virtuous always wins. The Emperor likes to go out to the gardens during this time," Hua Er gave me a flirtatious wink. "The Empress's mother has fallen ill, ask him about her and be concerned, it might win him over. A concubine should always care for His Majesty and be virtuous to him and his family members. Her Majesty's mother is an important woman."

        "You're good at this." I rested my chin on my fingers, tapping my index finger gently on my temple. My smirk began to turn into a smile. 

        "Not really, I had to research a little bit before I came to the Palace... Before I—" Hua Er interrupted herself with silence as her eyes diverted away from me.

        Of course. After the Empress humiliated her in front of a large audience, Hua Er would obviously be embarrassed to talk about her experience in the palace. Her eyes were dull and gloomy. It was surprising because a few minutes ago, they shone. Her experience in the palace must have traumatized her. I really wanted to know. I was practically dying to know what happened, but Hua Er wasn't comfortable with speaking about it. I scooted closer to her and patted her back. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. I can wait."

        "Thank you. It's just... I will inform you when I'm ready," she murmured, still keeping her head low as her eyes avoided mine. 

        I lifted myself up and adjusted my hanfu. "I guess I'll have to see if I can catch His Majesty's attention then?"

        "Good luck! I believe in you," my lady-in-waiting grinned, but just a second ago she was frowning. 

        "Oh, also," I turned around once more, "it's your turn tonight." 

        As I made my way to the gardens, I was already in awe of the scenery, although I've already been here. Memories from our last visit brought a smile to my face, but I had no interest in him. It was a silent walk, obviously, but a little bit too silent. There were no crickets, no owls, nothing. Just the sound of my low-quality shoes hitting the ground because my high-quality ones were in my chamber. 

         And a cough. I heard a cough.

        "Greetings to Your Majesty," I bowed. "Please forgive me, I thought I was allowed to roam around the gardens during this time."

        The moonlight illuminated half of his face, but I already knew it was him. I could feel his aura. 

        "You aren't," he replied, slowly walking closer towards me. "But I will allow it, only because I've never taken anyone here for a long time." 

        I expressed a large amount of gratitude to fate that the Emperor did not catch Jaxon and me. 

        "Why me?" I followed him as he walked past me. I don't know whether to be pleased or afraid. He chuckled. "There's something about you, Ying Yue. I have never seen anyone stand up to me like that. Usually, I'd be furious and you would receive twenty lashes but, you're quite different."

        Twenty lashes... Not too appealing.  

        "T-Thank you, Your Majesty," I responded. I could feel rouge creeping up on my cheeks. 

        We walked in silence. I was absolutely drained from today, but I still had the energy to take a stroll with the Emperor. It was weird. I felt like I was two-timing, but technically I wasn't. I felt like I was a double agent. As I was alone in my thoughts, I remembered what Hua Er said to me. "How is the Empress's mother, is she well?"

        "I wouldn't like to sugarcoat things, truthfully, she is not. The physician informed me in the evening that she is extremely ill, and she should only be in bed for now." 

        "I hope she gets well soon, that must be terrible." 

        "Thank you for your concern, the Empress will appreciate it." 

        I wondered if he knew what she was really like. He might as well be fully aware of the Empress's wicked self but refuses to take action. It wasn't a big hassle to demote or exile her and choose a new Empress. I disliked the Empress. The reason being was because of her unpleasant tone aimed at Hua Er and she even slapped me! The more that I thought about it, it wouldn't hurt to try and become Empress. Then again, I'm abnormally lazy and it would be too much work. The Empress would already have me dead if I ever tried, and the Emperor just wasn't for me. 

         In order to get home, I guess I'll have to put in more effort.