"Umm, no?" She said looking at me with wide eyes.

I had known. He had told me when we were driving around. I kept it away from Melanie and I wasn't sure why.

"Don't the best friends of the girl normal stalk the love interest?"

"I didn't know your surname."

"Makes sense why you didn't know. Now that you do know please don't treat me any differently." Brandon pleaded.

"We won't." I said and he gave me a grateful nod.

Melanie was in shock for the rest of the afternoon. She barely said anything and then when it was time to leave she rushed around and helped pack everything away. We arrived home and she locked herself into her room and never came out.

***

"Thank you so much for helping us adopt this little angel." The redhead woman said as she hugged the little boy who looked confused.

"It's an absolute pleasure ma'am," I said to her and she smiled, "If you need anything we are always a phone call away. I will give you a card with our e-mail address and telephone contact details." I told her.

"Oh thank you so much, Miss Hayes! You don't understand how excited I am to be completing this adoption process. I am so glad to have found this little angel and to have been given an opportunity to raise a kid."

"Little kids bring such joy to a household!" I grinned, agreeing with her.

"Do you have any kids of your own?" She asked me.

I shook my head, "No."

She sighed, "My husband and I tried for many years to try and conceive. We visited so many fertility clinics and unfortunately, no one was able to help us. Even the IVF failed. So then we decided adoption was the best next option for us."

"That must have been a really hard time for you guys," I said empathetically.

"It did put a lot of strain on our marriage, but I felt like the problem was mostly me. I often felt like I was useless and then my husband would try to console me but I was inconsolable. I believe that adoption really was meant for me."

"I am glad that you have found little Christian. I am glad that he has a couple that wants him really badly." I said as I collected and staple the forms, "Please sign here." I said pointing towards the dotted line on the sheet.

"Of course." She said as she grabbed the blue pen from my hand and scribbled her signature.

"Don't forget that we will send a team at regular intervals to make sure that things are going smoothly and that Christian has adapted to his new environment." I reminded her.

"That would be fine! It is no problem at all." She grinned.

"Say bye to the nice lady!" The woman said to Christian, pointing toward me. 

"Bye." He said shyly and I gave him a warm smile.

The lady waved at me before she headed out to her car and left.

I glanced at the watch and it was my break time. I grabbed my keys and right on cue Maddy walked out, "You heading out?" She asked.

"I didn't pack lunch so I am going to get some," I told her.

Maddy was a full-time psychologist who worked at the orphanage. She often helped kids that had gone through a lot of trauma. She excelled in her field a lot, the kids loved and responded to her.

"I will tag along with you. Let me grab my keys quickly." She said as she jogged back to her office.

It was almost a tradition for Maddy to join me whenever I went out to buy some lunch. We normally went to the quick store that was a few blocks down and bought something small. We also always grabbed a copy of the local newspaper to give to our boss, Eloise.

The Possessive Billionaire ✔जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें