Chapter 6.

As it turned out, Harry didn't get very far in reading Niall's file. Apparently there was a mix-up with the time that the cleaners were coming and Zayn had alerted Harry and they were both out of there in seconds.

"Sorry about that mate, I'll get it next time. I promise." Zayn sighed, looking disappointed. Harry frowned. "It's all right." He mumbled back, heading to the car park with his hands in his pockets.

"Mr Malik? What are you doing at this building after hours?" It was their head teacher, strolling toward them. Zayn blanched, coming to a standstill as he stared at the principle.

"That would be my doing sir, I was helping him with homework he didn't quite understand." Harry explained and Zayn sighed with relief. "Zayn doing homework?" The principle repeated with a frown and then he burst out laughing. "That'll be a first." He smirked, shaking his head in disbelief and Harry couldn't help frowning at him, feeling disappointed that he had judged Zayn like that.

"Off you go now, Zayn, I'll see you tomorrow morning." The principle smiled and zayn gave a small wave back to Harry before heading home.

"I'll never understand that boy, he's always up to no good." He sighed, shaking his head as they walked to the car park. "I think he's seriously misunderstood, sir." Harry commented, defending Zayn for his own good.

"Really? Hm. Y'know that vandalism behind the PE shed and locker room?" He asked curiously and Harry nodded. "That's all him." He sighed and Harry's eyes widened at the thought of the dirty, offensive words writing on the walls and doors.

"I thought so. I'd give it a few weeks." The principle sighed and Harry couldn't help rolling his eyes. "I've been meaning to ask you, how is your first week, Harry? My apologies for not introducing myself, I've been very busy."

"It's been all right, sir-"

"Oh, please. Call me Tom."

"It's been all right, Tom. They're all great kids." Harry smiled and Tom grinned. "Yes, they are. Anything you want to know about anybody? Anybody giving you a hard time?" He pressed and Harry thought for a bit. This opportunity to ask about Niall was gold.

"Well, there's this one kid. Niall Horan." Harry began subtly and a known smirk was placed on Tom's lips. "Ah, yes. Top lad. He definitely knows what he's doing, that one. He's going in the right direction." He nodded approvingly and Harry couldn't help smiling in appreciation.

"I know, but...his family? Does he have any?" He asked curiously with a frown and Tom sighed. "Rumor has it that they all died in a car crash." He explained simply and Harry's eyes widened and he stopped dead. "No kidding?" He asked, surprised and Tom only shrugged.

"Wait, rumor as in, you don't actually believe it, do you?" Harry guessed and Tom shook his head, brining out his phone as they stood outside his car. "Although, I am starting to now. It's always only him, Niall, that appears at the parents' evening. Nobody else." He spoke sadly. Harry blinked. Maybe Niall was more mature than he thought he was.

"Oh. Well, thanks for all your help sir, I really appreciate it." Harry smiled and shook his hand. "Any time, Harry. I hope we can catch up sometime." Tom smiled and Harry smiled back, waving him goodbye as he headed to his own car.

When Harry was home, he was about to unlock the door when a girl appeared outside Niall's door, Niall following closely behind in his crutches. Harry paused, staring at them in awe. Niall caught his eyes as he kissed the girl on the lips and he blushed, pulling away hastily. "I'll see you tomorrow." Niall croaked and the girl nodded, kissing Niall on the cheek one last time. She turned round and spotted Harry standing outside and she blushed a bright shade of pink.

It was Laura, one of his students who was in the same class as Niall. "Hello, Mr Styles." She spoke shyly and they both waved at each other briefly beefier she skipped off. "Must be awkward seeing a teacher outside school." Harry joked, in attempt to break the tension between the car. Niall couldn't help laugh, holding onto his crutches. God, that laugh. What a beautiful sound. Harry wanted to hear it more often.

"You have no idea." He smirked back and Harry chuckled, shaking his head. They both sighed, falling into a comfortable silence. "New girlfriend?" Harry blurted out and Niall's eyes shot up. "Yeah, asked her out a few days ago." Niall shrugged and Harry nodded, ignoring the jealousy filled deep in the pit of his stomach.

Niall suddenly started whimpering, his leg wedged between the door and his crutches and Harry's eyes widened in horror. "I'll help you." He insisted shortly, strolling over to push the door aside for Niall. Niall stumbled to the side a little as his full weight was pressed against the door but Harry caught him, gladly. "Thanks." He said weakly.

"C'me here." Harry muttered, guiding Niall to the sofa. "H-Harry, I'm fine. Really." He stuttered, glancing nervously at him as Harry lay him down, putting his feet up on the sofa and setting his crutches aside. They were silent for a few moments, Niall gasping as Harry massaged his sore leg.

"Look, I want to apologize for before. About y'know, asking about your family. It's clearly not in my state to question about them..." Harry trailed off, frowning when he watched a small smirk appear on Niall's face as Niall looked impatient. If his family were dead, he wouldn't be smirking. "Don't worry, you certainly don't need to be sorry." Niall sighed, looking slightly pissed off. Harry was confused. What was Niall hiding from him? It wasn't in Harry's place to ponder and pester Niall so he decided to drop it, turning it into a more cheerful coversation.

"I see Zayn and Liam have visited." Harry couldn't help smirking at the dirty, sexual jokes written across Niall's cast on his leg next to their names. Even Zayn had managed to draw an artistic "69".

"Yeah, the teachers are gonna kill me if they see me wearing it, it doesn't set a very good example. But at least I'm glad I'm getting my cast changed at the weekend before I go back next week," Niall sighed with relief and Harry's eyes shot up, a grin on his face.

"You're coming back next week?" Harry's face was filled with delight and Niall couldn't help chuckling. "Yeah, I don't want to miss any more school work plus I'm bored stiff here sitting meself all day. Speaking off school, would you be any chance be willing to help me catch up?" Niall asked nervously and Harry paused a bit, hesitating.

It wasn't that he didn't want to do. Of course he wanted to help Niall catch up, he wanted him to do well in his education. But...he couldn't. He just didn't know why. There was a warning sign in Harry's brain, a danger sign telling him that he was getting too close and he knew he should listen to it. Louis was right. He couldn't get too involved.

"Couldn't Zayn or Liam help you? Or your new girlfriend?" Harry couldn't hide his jealousy at the last part. Thankfully, Niall wasn't paying much attention.

"Zayn and Liam couldn't care less about school and when I asked Laura she said why don't you ask Zayn and Liam." Niall explained sheepishly and Harry laughed, shaking his head. Harry gave in, defeated. Although it didn't take much.

"All right. I shall help you."

Niall beamed happily.

"Thank you."

________________

Surprise update!! I can't believe how popular Room 22A is already and it's not even 10 chapters yet! I hope you guys can keep that up! I feel as if I've been neglecting this story for a while now and I apologize! I really like writing this story. Updates will be back to normal around the middle of August, hopefully before then. But on a brighter note, what did you think of this chapter? Detailed comments please? Thank you! X