chapter 40

This type of text is normal.

This is thoughts and cinematic records.

This is demonic speech.

This is thoughts and demonic speech.

[This is functions for the start and end of cinematic records.]

                                                               Wench Butler. Photogenic Bride

Summer evenings in London were always on the chilly side, but they were still filled with life as people walked through the streets and the gaslamps were turned on. One such place that still had the lights on was a small studio, Turner's Photographs.

"Have a nice evening, thank you."

A young couple walked out of the shop, and they started walking down the street. The woman clapped her hands together and smiled.

"Oh, I do hope they come out well," she said.

Her husband smiled back at her.

"How could they not? After all, you were the subject, darling. Surely, the likeness can be nothing short of gorgeous."

She blushed at his words and latched onto his arm.

"Darling!"

High above their heads, atop a tall pyre, Grell stood watching them. His red coat swayed in the wind.

"A lovers' song, destined to end in death," he said woefully.

The couple continued to walk, and a series of flickering sparks followed them.

Grell smirked.

"A lilting melody singed by sparks of pain."

The sparks crept up on the young wife, and soon, her body was completely alight. She let out the most horrific scream as her flesh was burned to ashes.

"Ellen!" her husband cried.

People were starting to gather around them. The husband took off his coat and tried to douse the flames with it, but it only caught fire. One of her white shoes came off in the scuffle. Ellen tried to reach out for him, and he grasped her burning hand. It came away as a pile of ashes. They fell through the man's fingers. The poor woman, charred to a crisp, fell into dust. The husband wept for his dear bride.

Spinning on the pyre, the Reaper smirked widely.

"Thus, the music closes, the fierce fiery finery of death!"

At the Phantomhive manor, tea was being served for Ciel.

"This afternoon, we have green tea from the Congra Valley. On the side, you will find a gooseberry and elderflower jelly." Sebastian explained.

Ciel took a bite of the jelly, and sighed.

"I suppose it will do," he said.

"I'm glad you find it satisfactory. When you are finished, there is work to be done."

The boy looked up from his dessert.

"Oh?"

Sebastian placed a silver tray in front of him. Lying on top of it was a letter with Her Majesty's seal.

Marianne sat opposite Ciel while Sebastian poured more tea.

"People being burnt alive?" she asked. "I think I saw something about that in the paper."