chapter 11

This type of text is normal.

This is thoughts and cinematic records.

This is demonic speech.

This is thoughts and demonic speech.

[This is functions for the start and end of cinematic records.]

                                               Butler, Phantom Image. Bride, Dressing Up

Marianne was tucked neatly in her hiding place, camera held firmly in her grasp. The large object was positioned with her eye gazing through the viewfinder, staring at an upside-down view of Sebastian as he went about his duties in the next room. 

She huffed in irritation; part of her wondered why she had agreed to do this, the feeling of the similarity to a peeping tom was not lost on her. Of course, the demon wouldn't stay still...

"There has got to be an easier way to do this," she sighed.

In Ciel's study, Marianne and the other servants were gathered; Ciel sat in his seat behind his large desk. She stood with her hair pinned up in a bun, her bindings loosen around her breasts, and her choker around her neck, safely hidden under the collar of her shirt. As she didn't need to hide her gender anymore unless there were visitors, she could walk around without getting overheated by her wig.

 The others looked frankly terrified, Marianne suspected their anxiety was caused by their various mishaps in the last few weeks following her birthday; they had seemed to go to another level of destruction as of late...

"So, Young Master..." Meyrin finally spoke up. "You wanted to speak to us about something?"

Ciel opened his sapphire eye and looked at them, his demeanor cold and authoritative.

"Yes... I have a little job I need the four of you to take care of."

Bard, Meyrin, and Finny were immediately much happier with that little tidbit of news, hugging each other in relief.

"See? We didn't have to worry!" Finny smiled.

"When he called us, I was expecting to be fired, yes I was!" Meyrin cheered.

Ciel reached down behind his desk and placed a camera down on the wood.

"This is a camera from the famous Talbot collection. It has a story behind it. It had been missing from the collection altogether for some time. When it suddenly came up for auction, I bid for it immediately." He explained.

The servants were confused.

"Who's Talbot?" Finny asked.

Tanaka, who had been in the room with them, grew to his full size and begun to explain.

"Full name, William Henry Fox Talbot. Let's see, he was a renowned English scientist and one of the inventors of the photographic technology. There were some strange rumors about the last camera he used, the one our Young Master has acquired.

 Legend has it that if you this camera to photograph someone, whomever or whatever that person cares about most in the world will appear in the photograph as well."

Meyrin seemed overjoyed by this piece of information.

"Oh, my! That sounds too incredible to be true!" she gasped.

As the old man shrunk down to chibi form once again, Bard asked his questions.

"Can such a camera really exist? Or is it just a rumor?"