chapter 6

This type of text is normal.

This is thoughts, dreams, and cinematic records.

This is demonic speech.

This is demonic speech in thoughts and dreams.

[This is functions for the start and end of cinematic records.]

                                                Butler, At the Funeral. Bride, Bound by Blood

"The murderer's distinctive style has earned him a unique nickname from the press, Jack the Ripper."

"Yes, the uterus is missing, which is quite... odd."

"Exactly. None of the people in his mansion could have done it either."

"Sebastian... you did it?"

"In the end, you two were the only ones who could be Jack the Ripper. You, Madame Red, and Grell Sutcliffe."

"You brat...! You shouldn't have been born in the first place!"

"I can't kill him... I can't kill their beloved son...!"

"Too late for that! How disappointing! What use do I have for you if you're just another woman?"

All these memories passed through Marianne's mind as she watched Ciel walk over to the dead body of Madame Red, and place Sebastian's black coat over her. In his back pocket, she vaguely saw the outline of a gun.

Why didn't you use it, Ciel...? She thought to herself. Is it because you felt that she couldn't go through with it in the end...?

Meanwhile, Grell and Sebastian were engaged in combat. The Reaper swung for the demon butler, but Sebastian leapt out of the way in a backwards arch.

"Here we are, a demon and a Reaper!" Grell laughed.

Sebastian aimed a kick at him, but Grell evaded him.

"I suppose we'll never resolve this!" Grell sighed wistfully as the demon leapt after him. "These feelings that we have are forbidden. Oh my! It's just like Romeo and Juliet!"

Sebastian was sickened at the comparison, his Juliet was currently below them, slowly bleeding to death. He wasn't about to have the Reaper soil his dear mate with such crude imagery.

"Oh my dear Bassy!" Grell lamented. "Wherefore art thou, my sweet Bassy?"

Sebastian's foot connected with Grell's chin, sending him flying backwards to the roof. The demon landed opposite.

"If you would deny thy Master and refuse thy name, I know we could be happy together." Grell smiled.

Sebastian smiled slightly.

"The moment my Master uttered my name as Sebastian, and the moment Marianne gave me Michaelis as my surname, the words became our solemn contract. I was re-baptised as his servant, and his alone. From that day, I have been Sebastian."

Outlined by the silver light of the moon, he continued with a determination that set his red eyes ablaze.

"By yonder moon, I swear it."

He remembered Marianne saying once that the moon was more constant than the sun. Day or night, it can be seen in the sky, ever changing, yet always remaining to watch over those beneath its eerie glow. It was under that very moon's glow that Sebastian promised to protect her without the order of his master. At the time, he hadn't known just how precious she would be to him...