chapter 30

This type of text is normal.

This is thoughts and cinematic records.

This is demonic speech.

This is thoughts and demonic speech.

[This is functions for the start and end of cinematic records.]

Marianne landed with a thud on the ground, her hand latched firmly on her hat as she struggled to keep her wig in place. She felt Angela's violet eyes glaring at her back, and clenched her fists.

"Edward, why did you interfere? I only hoped to cleanse Ciel Phantomhive, why did you stop me?" Angela asked.

The girl shook her head, refusing to look at the angel.

"What right do you have to cleanse him? You planned to kidnap him! Manipulate him for your own ends! How does that make you an angel?!" she growled.

All around them, Cinematic Records floated before their eyes. Angela stroked one of them with a graceful finger, not even caring that they were blank.

"Look. This is your past. All of it shines so brightly, yet those shrouded in darkness intend to drag you down. Do you intend to let them?"

Marianne finally turned to face Angela, her eyes cold.

"You underestimate what people would do for those they care about. And you clearly underestimate me."

Her hand reached out and pointed to one of the images.

"Ah, so that is the past you have chosen?" Angela said with a smile.

Marianne sank her hand into the record, and found herself wrapped up in a memory.

She gasped when she saw she was standing outside her childhood home, watching the flames she ignited consume its entirety...

Meanwhile, standing in a strange world coloured white, Ciel remembered something he had forgotten...

His father's body in an armchair... Angela standing over him with her white wings spread wide... Her hand dripping blood onto the floor.

"I know her..." he whispered.

Angela lifted his father's head, and he gasped when he saw his parents stitched together as one body.

He clapped his hands over his mouth, and fought to keep the contents of his stomach inside him.

Sebastian held the boy's shoulders, rubbing soothing circles into the blades. Ciel looked up at him and gestured around. The demon nodded in understanding.

"Marianne!" he called out, searching for his mate.

Grell, who was standing beside them, turned to a large white building and shuddered.

"This is the Grim Reaper Library!" he gasped. "I don't know if you're aware, but this is where the Cinematic Records are housed."

And so, the three of them began the long trek to the Library.

They went through the courtyard, and Sebastian pushed open the first door. A pair of extendable pruning shears struck towards his head, but he deftly dodged out of the way. He kept Ciel close to him, and Grell had to literally bent over backwards just to avoid the blow. The demon arched a brow as the shears retracted. William stood before the front desk, glasses glinting in the light.

"Ah, as I suspected. It is you," he said, staring at Sebastian. "I thought I smelled a rat."

"Will!" Grell gasped.