chapter 36

This type of text is normal.

This is thoughts and cinematic records.

This is demonic speech.

This is thoughts and demonic speech.

[This is functions for the start and end of cinematic records.]

                                                                        Butler, Fluent. Bride, Beloved

Sebastian stood in a boat on the River Thames. Marianne had her arms wrapped around Ciel's shoulders, using her body to keep him warm. The boy leaned back against her, his eye remained on the river, which had turned dark brown thanks to the ashes in the sky.

"Ciel," said Sebastian. "Prepare yourself."

They pushed off the river embankment.

Ciel's eye was glazed over as the demon rowed them down the river. Blearily, he saw many bodies lying on the ground, victims of the smoke and flame.

"Look there." Marianne said, pointing to something floating in the water.

It was a single white feather.

"We must be heading in the right direction."

Ciel glanced at them out of the corner of his eye.

"Where exactly are we going?" he asked.

"There are several bridges referred to as Devil's Bridge, because supposedly, they were made by demons." Sebastian explained as he rowed them under a bridge. They then found themselves staring at the skeleton of a great structure. "And then, there's the Tower Bridge, which in all likelihood, the angel instructed Her Majesty to build."

They drew closer. Marianne felt death wrap around her like a thick shroud; the cries and screams of the burning victims came out in the stone bricks like grotesque masks attempting to escape their prisons.

"Human sacrifices?" Ciel gasped.

"That Angel of Massacre has always had a love of sacrificing human life for his greater good. Fifteen years ago, he did the same thing. He led his cult to sacrifice their young daughters, waiting for when his beloved Virgin Mary came away from his blade unscathed." Marianne explained.

The boy was startled by the coldness in her voice.

"He tried to do the same to you...?" he asked.

"He did," she answered. "And he succeeded."

"You healed before their eyes. A miracle in the eyes of the Father. The angel adored you for it." Sebastian said.

"And I despised them all for letting it happen."

Ciel shook his head.

"How can this be considered a Holy bridge?" he cried.

The demon shrugged.

"One can go too far. At which point, good becomes worse than evil."

Marianne sighed.

"And then you wonder, when will the line be drawn?"

Sebastian tied the boat to a nearby dock.

"Ciel, could you please wait here for us?" he asked.

"I'm coming with you!" he snapped.

Sighing, the butler straightened his tailcoat.

"If I may be clear, you'd hold me back."

"I see. So, you're saying you can't handle him if you're fettered down," the boy mocked, smirking widely.