Chapter 47- Taste of Your Own Medicine

Even when the bullet was about to hit Avni, her last prayer to her mother was to keep her Nanny safe. It was the last thing she had wished clutching the star with her tied and bruised hands.

The minute she hit the ground, everything spun around her; she felt dizzy, and a burning sensation settled on every inch of her body. Surprisingly, the agony was not to be felt in her heart. Maybe it was tired from all the cat and mouse games that it couldn't feel anything, she thought.

Every moment she had shared with Amit played across her eyes. And she muttered a silent apology for every trouble she had caused him. It was hard to imagine the plan not working because of her, and she again blamed herself for stepping her foot out of the house.

If only she could hear his voice again, if only she could tell him how much he meant to her, and if only she could tell him that she loved him, everything would be okay.

However, as the impact of the hard hit left her, she realized her heart was thudding. It was making the normal thud, thud, thud sound. Was it slowing down? She thought. Was she already dead? Was this how dying felt like?

But then she heard sounds; someone was calling out to her loudly, and she pried open her eyes.

When she looked up and saw Amit, all her thoughts prior to the fall receded. She was elated, she was confused, she was relieved at the sight of him, and she had to blink her eyes in order to confirm she wasn't dreaming.

"Are you okay?" He was asking. "Does it hurt? Can you stand up?" But all his words vibrated in her head, and she clutched her head to stop it from swaying.

When she looked at Karma's direction, he was tending to his now gashed thigh.

How did he get hurt? She thought. Before she could contemplate on it more, or react to the turn of events, she saw Amit marching toward Karma, and the latter tried to reach for his gun again.

What's happening? She wanted to say that aloud, but couldn't bring herself to say anything. Her throat was choked, and her whole body felt limp.

"Now, now. I wouldn't do that mistake." Amit said as he kicked the gun away, and bent down to tower above him.

"You just wait, you filthy man! This won't end well." Karma reiterated and glared at Amit with the same vileness he possessed.

"Oh, by all means, do as you please. But what would you tell people of this village? Huh, Karma? What would you tell your men? By whom you got this wound? Surely, accepting and announcing it to everyone that you got defeated by a dalit, whom you hate so much, won't be good for your image... right?"

Meanwhile, Avni tried to sit up, but a new pain penetrated from her shoulder making her unable to put pressure on her hands. They were still tied and she had no other option left other than being a mute audience to their conversation.

"Let me get this straight, Karma. Don't mess with me to an extent that you regret harming my loved ones. You have done all the damage you could think of. Now, no more." Amit's voice was dangerously low, and the threat was evident in his voice.

"I'm not fazed by your empty threats, you dirty low-class man. I'm a panch, you hear me? I'm a panch, and I can do anything with you as I please..."

Amit didn't hear any of it and shot a bullet to the same thigh the blood was pooling out from.

Karma winced in pain and groaned loudly.

"Tell them the truth, and people will call you a coward, and powerless. Talk of the truth and this village won't fear you anymore. I'm not afraid of things happening to me, Karma, because I'm a low class anyway. My dignity won't get ruined. Rather, it will be the talk of the village that how a meager Dalit was able to put a panch in his righteous place...." He glowered at him, and the gun was looming beside him.