Chapter 46- So Close, Yet So Far Away

When Avni finally came out of her comatose state, all she could feel was darkness. 

The unknown place smelled like thousands of rats had been killed and never been removed. The platform she lay upon was of iron and she could feel the remnants of rust on her lips. Her mouth ached, and when she tried to call someone for help, a large ball of cotton made it difficult for her to speak aloud.

Her hands burned from the burden of thick ropes. They clung to her skin like iron handcuffs and seared through her bones making her unable to make any kind of movement. But her legs, she slowly felt for them and realized they weren't tied tightly like her hands. She moved them back and forth slowly and felt her toes curl beneath her loafers easily.

That's progress, she thought and tried to sit up slowly.

A deep pain ricocheted through her skull, and she felt dizzy from the effect of it. She tried to steady herself by closing her eyes once more and concentrated hard on the sudden pain.

Once it went away, she opened her eyes again and tried to look at her surroundings. It was dark, but as her vision adjusted in the dimness, she could make out the outlines of the place she was currently in. Broken chairs were scattered here and there. A few, what looked like car tires, lay unattended, and plastic scrap was strewn all across the place. 

It seemed like an unused garage.

She tried to remember the last thing before she landed here. And an image, of those angry and sinister eyes, filled her mind again. Now that she knew she hadn't imagined Karma that day, the fear she had felt earlier, seemed to disappear on its own accord.

However, anxiety replaced that fear; she was worried now of what would become of Amit's plan. And she thought of all the things going wrong because of her.

No, no. She wasn't going to be the reason his plan failed again.

But how could she have been so stupid, so ignorant to take the signs so lightly? If only she had told Amit her doubts, she would have avoided landing in Karma's clutches.

Her thoughts drifted to Vishnu, and it reminded her of the gift. It would be lying somewhere on the ground now, no doubt of it. It had slipped from her hands the moment Karma had put a kerchief to her nose. After a moment, she was unconscious and had no recollection of what happened afterward.

She had been so excited at the prospect of finally going to Delhi and meeting her Nanny that she hadn't have told her about her arrival. She wanted to give her a surprise. Now? Now she was just glad she hadn't. Maybe she will never see the light of the day, she thought. Her mind sauntered towards the worst scenario.

Her current state made her angry, and she groaned loudly.

Yet a small voice whispered in her head, run.

Run!

With that, Avni started messing with the ropes on her wrists and tried to find the connecting rope along with the knot. If only she could untie the rope, she would at least be one step closer to getting out of here. But, it was too tight and every small movement of her wrist caused her pain.

She would not think about the pain. She needed to get out of here!

After some desperate efforts, her fingers failed to find a good grip on the ropes.

She again groaned from the lack of strength. Still, she reminded herself, you can do this, be patient.

After unsuccessful attempts of tugging at the ropes with her now feeble fingers constantly, the rope didn't even budge an inch.