Chapter 39- Peace and Chaos

Savitri's ashes were buried near her husband's.

Despite Amit and Aamir's earlier argument, they had helped Avni with few other people to carry the body to the crematorium.

Avni had no idea Savitri was hurt to this extent. She thought Savitri was going to be okay with passing time. In her own dizzy state, she hadn't thought of spending more time with her, and doing more for her; this caused her immense pain.

The regret was always the worst. It haunted people and made them suffer from all the possibilities of how a particular situation would have been avoided. How they would have done things differently. But they often forgot to think of the situation they were in; and that, they had done their best.

In the future, everything was a compilation of what-ifs; but in the present, it was the series of decisions taken considering the prevailing circumstances.

The awkward tension between Amit and Avni fleeted away. He held her closely and soothed her when she sobbed.

A long evening awaited them. He took her to the same hill where he used to play his flute when he felt low. It was his secret place where he forgot about everything. And he let his mind roam to the happy times.

"I should've taken her to the hospital, Amit. I should've done more for her pain." She murmured against his chest.

"You did your best. The fact that you actually went to her place without knowing her is in itself too much." He replied while caressing her hair.

"But... It was... She was in so much pain." She sighed sadly as she didn't have the strength to cry. Every part of her body ached, even her heart.

"I know... I know,"

"Why are people so cruel?"

"Why? Because they are blinded by the things they think to be perfectly normal. In that process, they forget about others' sufferings and pains. They forget they are hurting others with their actions."

Amit was elsewhere at this moment. His thoughts wandered back to how Jagan had described the whole incident. He thought of his Paa, and a new pang of guilt consumed him.

"I wish I could have done more," Avni spoke with deep regret.

"I wish that too."

They watched in silence as the sun dipped into the horizon, and stars spread in the sky like little fireflies. In the moment of chaos, they had at last found their moment of peace in which they both were attached to the emotions of one-another.

"Amit?"

"Yes?"

"Do you feel I shouldn't have accompanied you to Unnao?"

Avni had felt this for quite a while now. But seeing Amit so discrete yesterday, she didn't dare ask him. Now, as they both were having their own bubble-moment, she raised the question with caution.

"No, Avni. I'm glad you are here. Things become more... bearable when you're with me."

"Yesterday..." she looked at Amit to see whether he was actually listening. "Yesterday, you seemed off. You even sounded angry when you handed me the painkillers. Is everything alright?"

"Everything will be alright." He smiled up at her and looked at her dazzling grey eyes that were crinkled in worry.

He wanted to share the news with her. He wanted to tell everything that had happened yesterday. But seeing her so close to him, he couldn't bring himself to burst the small happy bubble they were in right now. His heart always betrayed his own mind when she looked at him with love and concern.