Chapter 32- Hope Is Delusional

Now that Amit had decided to go to the village, he was finally talking about taking a leave from his work. This was going to be his first visit to Unnao after coming to Delhi, and he was nervous about it.

"What about next month? They might even give me an extended break after Diwali."

He discussed it with Avni, as he wanted a little time for his mind to prepare for the much-needed visit.

"Do what you think is best. But, why not go and celebrate Diwali in Unnao? They might expect you to celebrate the festival with them,"

"I was thinking about it, but then I don't know. I wanted to experience what Diwali is like here in Delhi."

He shrugged it off casually. But in truth, he was afraid of ruining this festival for his Paa.

"Ah, you don't have to worry about it. Supreme Court has banned the use of crackers, so I reckon it'll hardly be any fun,"

"What a waste of Diwali." He shook his head, and they talked casually while walking.

The sadness Amit had experienced before, dissipated suddenly. He wasn't feeling dejected or burdened. Maybe, he needed that lecture from Avni after all. He thought to himself.

All was going well in his head. He was hopeful for the first time and was looking forward to seeing his Paa after a long time. It had been more than six months in Delhi. No matter how much he disliked his village, his parents were an integral part of him. He was looking forward to seeing them and was planning to buy them Diwali gifts.

It was all too perfect in Amit's case. But hope and reality were two entirely different things. Where hope was a delusion, reality managed to shake people from within their deepest roots.

Who would've thought? His planning would be smeared by reality when Aamir's phone call interrupted his happy talks. With it, Amit came out of his hopeful reverie.

He replied with a cheery hello. However, the cheeriness faded when he heard Aamir's worried voice on the other end.

"Aamir? Is everything okay?" he asked with concern.

He was steps away from entering his apartment, but the tone with which Aamir had addressed him was of absolute fear. As if on auto mode, he stopped walking.

"Come...ho-home, Amit," Aamir stated as if he was trying hard not to cry.

"What is it?" Amit asked again. This time it was more of an order than a request.

Aamir, on the other end, muffled his sobs so that he could convey the exact news.

"Uncle met with an accident..." the rest of the sentence got dissolved when Amit bombarded Aamir with a million questions. "When? Where? How? Is he okay?"

Despite the fact that Avni was standing with worry, fidgeting beside him; she couldn't ask anything as he was concentrating so hard to whatever Aamir was saying.

He heard only one sentence of Aamir, and his world crumbled beneath his feet.

"He couldn't make it."

Amit disconnected the call in complete numbness. Every sensation in his body stopped, and what remained in his heart was a dull ache that didn't let him believe what he'd just heard.

He motionlessly made his way to his house. After reaching the short distance from his front door to the living room, he sat on his sofa with a thud. He didn't have any control over his body; every part of him screamed in denial.

Avni came in a hurry with a glass of water and sat beside him. She asked him, "What happened?" in a panic. But, Amit couldn't bring himself to say the words yet. It seemed he wasn't a participant in the last few minutes' conversations.