Chapter 9- Meeting Another Stranger

It's strange, how caring for a girl, especially for the one you love, can make you feel grateful for all the little things you ignore normally.

When Rohini came and stood beside me, it felt like everything was perfect. No one was behind us, and we weren't running or hiding. We were just two people, who were embracing each other with so much passion, it felt like an eternity would pass in mere seconds.

The way we clung onto each other was a sign enough that we both had missed each other; words were not even needed.

I was getting a very homey feeling, when I heard someone say from a distance, "So, you are that Aditya, huh?"

Hearing the voice, Rohini abruptly untangled herself from my arms and stepped back. I was confused as to why would she do so?

When I turned around, I saw a man wearing mismatched pant and shirt with flip-flops and was heading in our direction. That's strange, I thought, as this kind of outfit was not common in parts like this. Here, people normally wore pajamas or dhoti.

He seemed to be old- like late sixties kind of old.

Oh, so that's why she had moved away.

"Respecting senior citizens, huh?" I whispered, but she shushed me.

When he came and stood in front of us, Rohini introduced us and I got to know him as Sam.

What a modern name, Sam!

"So, you are the city boy, eh?" he asked, this time addressing me directly to which I just nodded.

We shared our greetings and some small chit-chat session. One, where he knew everything but asked me nonetheless. I was bound to nod or shake my head.

"You are from Delhi I hear?" to which I nodded.

"Oh! What a shame. You would never have thought of something like this happening, did you?"

It made me shake my head. Of course, I would do that! Besides, what other option did I have?

One more thing I have noticed amongst older people is, they have the weirdest gift of making adults squirm by asking whatever that comes in their minds.

"At least, you didn't knock her up, did you?"

What kind of a pathetic question was that? What sane person would ask that? And what other option was left for people like me besides shaking my head?

After an excruciating control on my part by not muttering something stupid, we finally were told to come inside and have our food.

Ah! The bliss!

Before heading inside, I glanced at Rohini, and sure enough, she was trying to suppress her laughter as always. I shook my head in amused annoyance and headed inside.

Aamir and I sat for our lunch together, while Rohini sat beside me to give me company. Amit was nowhere to be seen.

Our food consisted of Rice, Dal (pulse), chapatti (wheat flatbread) and some unknown vegetable I came to know later was Aloe vera.

This meal was more than I could imagine, and after having my food, I was sated.

*

We were given a room that had a cot. But I folded it, put it aside, made our bed on the floor, and lay on it with Rohini's head on my shoulder.

My thoughts went to today's events and Amit's words reverberated in my head.

"How can he know so much about me?"