Chapter 15- The Hill

Morning arrived, and with it approached a burst of new sunshine. 

Sometimes later in the night, Rohini's nightmares had disappeared and finally, I had watched her sleep in a peaceful manner.

Now, as the sun's golden rays came through the window and came to rest upon her eyelids, she blinked in her sleep. I instantly covered the ray in my hand. Her posture became serene again. I watched her until it was time for me to get up, as I remembered Amit's instruction he had given me the other night. Before getting up, I covered her face with a blanket so that she could sleep without any interruption.

I made my way to the small bathroom, and after performing the usual morning rituals along with taking a shower, I was in my room again and crouched down beside Rohini.

As I uncovered her face, her brows furrowed slightly and she mumbled something I couldn't comprehend.

Something about her was so compelling, that even if she was sleeping with her mouth open, I couldn't help but think of running my fingers along the outlines of her lips, her cheekbones, her jaw...

I stared at her eyelids, her every intricate feature, even the mole on her left eye.

She stirred as if sensing my eyes on her, and I backed away.

Her smile was contagious when she looked at me. I smiled back in return, and my whole being radiated.

I mumbled a good morning and went for a kiss. But, it turned into a peck on her cheek as she moved her head away, just like I thought she would.

"Yeah, yeah, I know your morning breath and all," I stated.

She shrugged and yawned.

"Are you just going to stare at me like that and not speak anything?" I asked, even if I knew she wouldn't do so.

As predicted, she shook her head and sat up.

"I've to go with Sam and bring over some groceries. Will you be okay until then?"

She nodded.

Before I could say anything further, Sam's voice called out to me in his usual grumpy voice. I was a little reluctant to go with him after yesterday's incident, but desperate times made me go with him.

"I'll be back in no time." I kissed her forehead and was out of the door quickly.

Sam was wearing yet another pair of mismatched pants and shirt along with those pathetic flip-flops. I kept my anger at bay and went with him.

*

After walking for at least another forty-five minutes, we reached a path that looked like an actual road. One could easily tell that this was usually taken by lots of people.

"Will you wait here while I go and fetch some things from the shop?" Sam asked as we stopped walking.

"I'll come with you. Why would I want to wait here?"

"That shop is somewhat fifteen minutes away, and a bit crowded as the village limit starts. People might recognize you. I don't want to take any risk,"

I pondered over what he had just said but asked a question before he started to go.

"Why did Amit send me here then?"

"Because, Aamir will be busy guarding the house with a gun, and Amit will be looking for some fuels and other necessities," he replied in a normal tone.

That makes sense.

But I still didn't understand my role in it, "Then, what was the point of me coming with you? All you have to do is grab some groceries,"